BC Boards

Pictures from Edgeworth 2003

Denise Wall

A,

No, luck was with me this trial and I ended up just barely placing both runs. After the various combinations of placements of Ali's three, Flo's three, Tommy's two, and Kent's three, there just wasn't much room for the rest of us

Joy placed tenth the first run and Zeke ninth the second. At least on the second run, and maybe the first, the fact that the same handler had three dogs in the top ten (only placing money for two allowed) bumped me one placing up. IOW, I got the money for tenth and ninth but points for 11th and 10th. Joy and Zeke both had decent runs each day and I was pleased with all of my dogs' outruns.

Mick ran second in the order the first run (each run was 1.5 days) and actually had the best run of my three for the whole weekend up to the shedding ring. But never having done a marked shed, coupled with a bad group for a marked shed (each uncollared sheep had a close friendship with a collared one), and compounded by the pressure of knowing I had a good run going to that point, made me such a nervous wreck that I never even got the first shed. Also, Mick had been off work for six weeks with a hurt toe and had only been back working for a week before the trial. He was probably not in the best condition to run the biggest course we have on the east coast. The second run, his sheep were running and the run wasn't the quality of his first, to put it nicely.

As much as I would love to think the "one off" spell has been broken for me, I fully expect to bomb royally next trial. I love Edgeworth though. There were so many beautiful runs and great dogs and handlers to watch run that big course on those fresh, even sheep. It's such great trial. To me it's the real thing as trials go.

Denise

Ach Denise, sounds brilliant to me. Must have been a lot of Open dogs if it took 1 1/2 days to do one round. Major points there girl, congratulations. (Still waiting for Francis to get Hobbes' first points of the season up for his runs in Alberta. 6th out of 33. What's that, a .6? Yahoo, we're on the board!)

A.

Ach Denise, sounds brilliant to me.

Thanks but not brilliant by any means. I can see 300% difference in the runs my dogs had to get 10th and 9th and the runs that won. It was good for me at my level but the big hats would not have considered those runs good.

Must have been a lot of Open dogs if it took 1 1/2 days to do one round. Major points there girl, congratulations.

Not that many dogs, really. Although there were 60 some entered, there were only 50 some dogs each run. A lot of people went to the Fall Foliage Trial and others I think were burned out from the recent traveling to the finals. Because the course was so big and there were two marked sheds, the time limit was 15 minutes. Not many dogs could be run in an hour and not that many in a day at this time of the year. It just takes up a lot of time to run a course like that. This is sort of coming around to the discussion on the sheepdog list right now about shorter courses, more dogs, more points. It's unlikely I'll go to the finals so the points don't matter to me. I really enjoyed the chance at a course like Edgeworth though, lots of points or no.

(Still waiting for Francis to get Hobbes' first points of the season up for his runs in Alberta. 6th out of 33. What's that, a .6? Yahoo, we're on the board!)

Hey, you go girl! Don't hold your breath about the points page. They usually don't start putting the new year up until Jan.

Hope we run into each other again somewhere this year. Maybe at the Bluegrass again?

Denise

Re points: I know that it's not practical and will never happen, but I've often thought that trials should be given a degree of difficulty value, like in Olympic diving. Would be determined by terrain, size of course, type of sheep etc. Degree of difficulty x execution = actual score on which to base points for the Nationals. A trial like Edgeworth or the Bluegrass should by rights garner you way more points than a little farm trial in the midwest on a 4 acre field with dog broke Katahdins--the kind of trial Hobbes and I excel at, by the way, so this ain't personal pleading by any means.

A.