BC Boards

Fall Foliage

blackacre

I just talked to someone who heard from an Edgeworth competitor. They started the first open run yesterday and finished it today. Kent Kuykendall won today, Alasdair was second (and apparently had three dogs with high scores--in the top 10), and Tommy Wilson was fourth. Florence W. placed 7th and 8th. That's not much of a fix, but that's all I know (third hand) for now.

I understand the trial was run like the top 50 at the finals--that is shed off some marked sheep before the pen and then a single after the pen.

As for Lena's trial, my young dog just tore a pad on her front foot. I'm hoping that Pad Heal works a miracle before Friday!

J.

Thank god for the grapevine! I assume Kent and Coon and Alasdair and Bill? What were is other two dogs? Did he move up Kirk and Star? Tommy and Pearl or Dot? See, it's never enough. I'm insatiable.

Thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming.

Get that Pad Heal on girl. Torture to miss a trial for a ripped pad.

A.

AAAAAAHHHH! I don't know the anwers to your questions. I will e-mail the original source of the information and see if I can't have some real answers for you in the morning. Another friend of mine drove up today for the VBCA BOD meeting, so maybe she'll have answers--will also call her later this evening. Sorry not to have all the info, but I'm trying!

J.

Okay, now there's a whole second day and I don't have any results for you. Hey, I was still working on day 1. I did find out that Tom W. was 4th with Dot (Pearl gripped out--not sure which day though). Denise Wall was 10th with Joy yesterday, and David Henry rounded out the top 10 (with Holly I think, but don't quote me on that).

Sam and the gang will be back tomorrow and can probably give you all the details!

J.

Kent was first in the first go round iwth Coon - beautiful run. Alasdair was second, with Bill I think.

Second round Alasdair tied 2 dogs for first - Bill and a new dog Mick.

The field was challenging as usual though there weren't nearly the crossovers as there used to be. The sheep were really nice. We got to do a marked shed which was a treat, first time I've ever had the chance at a trial. 2 sheep had collars, 3 were plain. You took off any 2 plain, then you'd pen the 5 and then go back and single one of the marked ones. It was a most excellent trial as usual!

I was fairly convinced he was still putting him on his own whistles coming down the fetch saturday. He says he just happened to be on the same whistles as he uses but i'm not sure i buy it.... :rolleyes:

Sorta impressive that he's at the top of Edgeworth with a dog he's worked *3 whole times*, eh? Sure was fun to watch and learn from though. Big fun to watch Kent and Coon saturday as well, what a smooth run for the old dog. Watching those guys is always an education!

The tricky part of Edgeworth's field is the gully halfway where you can't see your dog and your dog can't see the sheep on top. The first day Blue crested the ridge just before the gully and kicked out and the next time I saw him he was on the other side of the field and following the fence back down to my feet. :rolleyes:

The next time he got a redirect just after he went out of sight.

Mark

P.S. We will be at Sam's trial and if the "dog gods" smile on me for a change I'll have a new dog to run in PN (unless Sam has to move PN & NN to Friday then the "work gods" will frown on me).

Brat. What new dog? I'm still waiting on my 2004 Pro-Novice prospect to decide he wants to listen to me on sheep at all. Kinda hard to teach a dog something if he doesn't give a damn about your input.

Hobbes has crossed on me only twice in his entire life. Once at Seclusival to the right (pond, causeway) and once at the Bluegrass. Guess he might like to add to his list of grade A trials to lose 19 points on right off the bat but I don't think I'm ready for it.

A.

Mark, where do you get 590 yards? Sally Molloy and I climbed the hill from the post to the set-out the first evening after the trial ended, and as I stood admiring the view, I spied a faint small figure trudging up the hill from the post, hunched over to one side. I watched for a long time as the figure grew larger, became recognizable as a man, and finally became recognizable as Alasdair MacRae, pushing one of those little surveyor's wheels. When he arrived at the set-out post, he pronounced the distance to be 600 yards exactly. Then back down he went, I assume to communicate this information to his dogs.

You saw it. Tell me I wasn't dreaming.

Eileen,

Renee and I went to walk up the hill Saturday night. We met Alasdair (with wheel in hand) and others at the post where he first offered the use of his wheel, when we didn't take him up on his offer he told us the distance was 600 yards, and then said well actually 590. My guess is he rounded to 600 in one case and in another he didn't. Ahhhh, whats 10 yards between friends, especially when the total is about 600?

Mark

I have the answer to the 590/600 yard mystery. Yes, Alasdair walked it at 600 yards on the wheelie thing. When he got back to the bottom, he asked me to guess the distance and i pulled a figure from somewhere in the deep deep recesses of my brain and said 590 yards. I don't know where i heard it, but i did hear it some years back at Edgeworth. After hearing my guess, he agreed that yes, it probably was 590 yards when you account for the grass clumps and such that the wheelie thing has to roll over.

So, take your pick. 10 yards ain't much difference at that distance. :cool:

If you go to the Edgeworth trial, make sure you get a chance to walk to the top end and look down the field. It's amazing how different it looks!