BC Boards

Yay Tweed!!!!

blackacre

I am sure my dear friend totallyterry2003 is too modest to post, so I am posting for her. Her young dog Tweed, handled by Lyle Boyer, has put up a decent score in the second day of the Nursery Finals (looks to be about 20th at this point) and is well positioned to run in the top 50 on the last day.

Congratulations Baby Huey!

A.

It says in the pedigree section of the finals page that she's off Gail MacDonald's Dan and Fly.

And please don't curse Tweed by mentioning that 21st number. It reminds me of Mick at the Nursery. I'm queen of the one off the whatever-is-important placing. There's a club of us out there and we are the only ones who understand each other's angst

Denise

Yes, I am familiar with the syndrome. I have a friend who is always just one out of the ribbons. The curious thing is that it holds true regardless of how many placings they are paying to. If it's 10, she's 11th. If it's to 3rd, she's 4th. Hobbes usually manages to either place or be completely out of it, so I haven't experienced it personally.

My personal bugbear with him is running early and holding a high placing until the last few runs of the day, when the sheep get sweet again and we are crushed by signifcantly higher scores than have gone up all day.

Actually, our friend Scott uses a standard to judge how he is running that I like. He compares his score to the 10 runs before him and the 10 after.

Tell me about poor Mick. Sounds painful.

A.

Actually I was fine with it. He was 21st overall out of 104 in the 2000 Nursery. It was better than what I had expected. He wasn't even solid on his flanks and was basically just running on the natural in him and a little training. I had been practicing beforehand with Kent Kuykendall and Dehl who won it that year. Kent had all these fine tuned moves on Dehl and I couldn't even flank Mick on the fetch so I knew we wouldn't win it. I mean, when you practice with the big hats, it keeps your expectations pretty realistic.

The thing was, the outrun that year was 425 yards over pretty rough terrain and the grass was a brownish color not much different from the sheep. A lot of dogs didn't run out well. Getting a good outrun and pen really helped there, which we did both days. Otherwise, we missed one panel each run with decent lines.

Also, the sheep were heavy and that caused some problems with some of the dogs, which I understand is a problem this year as well.

So, I was pleased with Mick, I shouldn't whine...no sad story there other than being another addition to my one-off list. I feel your friend's pain.

Denise

Thanks. Yes, it was an optical illusion I guess. I remember thinking I would never get there when I was walking it myself. I think the dogs lost sight of the sheep either direction running out. They were probably out there running for what they felt like had been a long time and some of them must've figured, "This seems about right. I'll come in and look for sheep now." There were a lot of crossovers, and not finding sheep RTs. On the second run, they let the top 50 or 60 scores of the 104 come back to run again. I believe a score of 17 got to run in the second run if that gives you any idea of the trouble.

Denise

Brutal.

On the subject of low scores, I do remember Dal's score of 3 with Rusty. May have been the following year. Terry and I were scratching our heads on how someone could possibly get a score of 3 as we watched the results come in. Finally came up with a possible scenario which turned out to be pretty well right. You can see Dal being interviewed by Martin on the Nationals tape from that year on the subject. Very humourous.

A.

Congratulations to Tweed and Terry and Lyle. Mebbe ya didn't win it but your were in it!

I'd sell my eye teeth to run in the National Nursery trial, but to make it to the last day and have my dog's name on that last list, sitting in the midst of the names of great dogs and prestigous handlers? Well that would be da bomb!

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally back on boards after a couple weeks of not being able to access them due to my infamous computer dis-ability. Had to even re-register but I am StillTerry.

Thank you all for your support of Tweed who was a very Baad Dog on his second run. Listening was not in his game plan. Although there were spots in the field where the dogs could not hear, he was not always in those spots. On the positive side, he had no problem moving the ornery sheep. He is a real line dog, however, that day the line he chose to hold to China was not the right line. He ended up 28th over all.

Yes Bill, you will see Tweed running in open but there will not be any great placings. I will be at the helm with him. On the bright side, if he holds the wrong line, I won't get nearly as upset as Lyle. Her line may be an 1 inch wide but mine is at least 60 inches wide.

Andrea, really was a tad strong calling my dogs Disney dogs. (Personally, I think she is a little jealous cause she has to spend her time looking at a cute muskrat.)

Because it is true that I have a high concentration of handsome full white collared dogs, it really embarresses me. Always afraid people will think that their looks are important to me and not their working ability. Don't want anyone to think that I own foo foos. To set the record straight, all my dogs except one were purchased or selected sight unseen! Believe me, looks could not even be comsidered as a remote criteria for my big hat friends as they searched for dogs for me. It was hard enough to find a dog that could withstand my numerous idiosynracies. (Next time, I get a dog I will add spelling ability in the pre-requisites.)