BC Boards

Bluegrass Website

• 1 month later...
Thanks, I got the email on it, tried to access it a number of times with no luck, but with this link, bingo.

This looks like a wonderful place to break-in my new husband to the world of trials! He's already rescued and has his own BC, and we're wanting to attend for the enjoyment of watching. One day, we hope to find a beginner's clinic... but until then, this is great and it's so close by!

:rolleyes: It's been years since I've attended a trial (spectator!) and I know I'd enjoy attending this.

I've e-mailed for more info - but was wondering if there are camping facilities close by. Any info would be appreciated!

The Bluegrass is fabulous! Lovely site with two fields running (Novice field with Novice on two days, Pro-Novice, Ranch, and Nursery on four days, and the Open field where the first runs take Wed and Thurs, the second runs take Fri and Sat, and the double-lift international-shed Finals are on Sunday).

There are bleachers at the Open field, and lots of places to put a chair along the fenceline (or even in the handlers' tent where there's room). There are also bleachers at the Novice field but not much tent space available there for putting your chair. Both fields offer great views of the work going on.

There is a concession stand that sells excellent burgers, soda, and limited goodies. There are also some vendors that sell Border Collie and sheep-themed merchandise, and often a rescue group with a fund-raising tent with fun dog stuff (like neat tug toys and accessories).

In addition, there is a silent auction of donated knick-knacks, clothing (they have some fabulous sweaters and such), and other items. You can buy some stuff outright and I think may have to bid on other items. I'm a bit foggy about that.

Porta-potties abound (they had them at the Novice field last year - hooray, someone was listening to our prayers). There is also a dog park right on the site that is quite large, and a great place to run your pet if you bring one. Some handlers use it and some use an adjacent field but I wouldn't use that field if I were just spectating. The dog park is more secure. There are plenty of places to walk your dog on lead along the roads in the park.

Dress for changeable weather - it can be warm and muggy and it can be a bit chilly. An umbrella or some other shelter for your chair might be sensible in case you don't get to set it up under cover. The ground is usually not muddy but, if it's been raining, you can get muddy places so mud shoes are wise.

As Julie pointed out, there is a great tent-camping facility at the Kentucky Horse Park. Participants and volunteers with RVs do camp at the trial site but tents are not allowed there and there are no hook-ups. I do not believe that spectators camp at the trial site at all as those participating and volunteering fill up most of the available space. It isn't hard to find a place to park your car during the day, just be careful if the ground is soft from rain and you have to park on the grass.

Looking forward to meeting you and your hubby if you are able to come. There isn't a nicer trial in the eastern US, as far as I understand, although there are other outstanding ones.

Deb Crowder and I stayed at a dog-friendly Days Inn not too far away last year. It wasn't the best, though, and I would recommend the Red Roof (although I can't remember just which Red Roof). It's not too far at all and Deb said it was quite reasonable as she's stayed there before. I like Red Roof a lot when I'm travelling with dogs as they are pet-friendly and reasonably priced, and pretty nice in my limited experience. Some Days Inns look like a bargain but then want to charge per dog per night and it mounts up fast so that it's pretty pricey for a pretty dicey motel.

You probably don't need any of this advice but when I travel with dogs, I use a no-spill water dish that I either keep in the bathroom or on a towel on the floor so there aren't any water spots left. I also take off the motel blanket and quilt (especially the quilt) and use my own blanket on the bed. I like it better and that way all the dog hair, etc., goes home with me in my blanket and isn't left on/in the bedding. That's just my choice.

I hope you guys get to go. It is fabulous!