BC Boards

OT -- if you run Windows XP and your computer runs slow.

A slow-running computer can be really annoying. The first place to start to fix this is to make sure you don't have spyware running on your computer.

I recommend running Windows Defender (free from Microsoft ), and optionally I like to run Ad-Aware Personal (free from LavaSoft). You should install these products and run them regularly to keep your computer free from Spyware.

Then if it still runs slow, you should consider whether you have enough memory (RAM). A lot of computers have been sold with 256MB (or less) of memory and that is not enough for Windows XP. I just upgraded my RAM from 256MB to 768MB and the performance increase is amazing. It was the best $60 I ever spent.

In addition to Ad Aware I use Spybot Seach and Destroy.

And don't forget to use a good anti-virus program. (I personally am not a huge fan of Norton, I HATE dealing with that program on other peoples computers - I like Avast, myself). I just installed one of my parents' computer and would you believe I found a whole bunch of viruses... sigh.

And yes, RAM. The computer speed god. :rolleyes:

Hector and Lunar are both right. Also, if you have AOL, you have free software from them. Run them ALL! I have found that each will pick up spyware that the others do not detect, so I update and run all of them weekly (along with my anti-virus software).

Sidebar: It is not enough to just have the software; you must update them just as you would your anti-virus software.