BC Boards

Double lift at Edgeworth??

I got a definate "maybe" when I asked. I was told that one day might be a double lift, whole field length, second trial might be a shorter course say the lenght of what the ranch course usually is. Dont put any of this in the bank as they were going to take a tally of the entries and make a final decision....but god I hope so! What fun that would be. Can hardly wait to see you!

This is from MapQuest and it seems reasonable. I have not been on the route from I64 to Gordonsville to know what these roads are like.

Merge onto I-40 E via the ramp- on the left- toward KNOXVILLE/HUNTSVILLE. (212.4 miles)

Merge onto I-81 N via exit number 421- on the left- toward BRISTOL. (297.1 miles)

Merge onto I-64 E via exit number 221 toward RICHMOND. (37.0 miles)

Take the US-250 exit- exit number 124- toward SHADWELL. (0.2 miles)

Turn RIGHT onto US-250 E/RICHMOND RD. (1.8 miles)

Stay straight to go onto VA-22/LOUISA RD. (5.4 miles)

Stay straight to go onto VA-231/GORDONSVILLE RD. Continue to follow VA-231. (9.2 miles)

Edgeworth is on VA-231 on the left side before you get to into Gordonsville. TAt the farm drive there is a farm sign & cattle crossing, and typically there is a SDT sign.

Mark

I e-mailed Florence yesterday to tell her I would be glad to post the running order on S-L for her. She replied back that she would not have it ready in time to make a difference.

I did hear it will be a 14 minute course and that there will be some interesting challenges because of no double lift. It is quite the challenge already to get the dogs to the top of that 600 yard hill, see where they show up half way down the fetch after you lose sight of them and then finish with a shed, pen, single. I pitty the poor soul who has to go first. I did two years ago - my very first time running at Edgeworth. Boy, talk about a bad case of nerves! But the Mirk man completed the course and that put a smile on my face. What a great trial this one is.

Edgeworth was once again a true challenge. I'd say on the first go over half the dogs crossed over. This year they moved the handler's post farther over to the left corner of the field, but the sheep were set out up top at the same place in the middle. I wonder if this made some dogs think that the sheep would be set out on the top right corner (diagonal to where we where standing)? The 600 yard fetch was also tough as so many dogs would not take their flanks on the come by side to push the sheep back on line (mine included). They were simply content with following along the shoulders the whole way down.

To start the drive we had to turn the sheep around cones that were set between the handler's post and the fetch panels. Then, during the first trial we ran 7 sheep and had to take off 4, put them through the exhaust gate and then go back and pen the three. It was a lot of fun and something new to try. I bet a lot of us wish we had eyes in the backs of our heads to keep watch over the three that were left and make sure they didn't join their buddies.

Those of you who have never been to the Wilson's trial should try to put it on your calendar for next year. It is well worth it.