BC Boards

Pictures from the Bluegrass 2003

Denise,

Great shots! At last I've identified someone else with intersecting interests in sheepdogs and photography. Your photos were obviously taken with a shutter speed that is beyond the capabilities of my digital point'n'shoot - do you use a digital SLR (or scan from 35 mm film)?

I love shooting digital, but my efforts with sheep and sheepdogs have been hopeless because action photography of any sort with a non-SLR digicam (the only type currently in my price range) is virtually impossible. Lack of significant telephoto capability is also a major limitation when it comes to trial photography, of course. I do own a film scanner, but I'm lazy about using it as it is old and slow. I lust after the nice new ones, but those in my price range are either crappy, slow (USB), or not yet compatible with Mac OS X. I know I'll end up with a digital SLR, but I'm waiting until resolution goes up a bit and prices come down a lot. For now, I should probably put my money into a fast telephoto lens and try to be patient during film scans!

Anyway, long story short - if your shots are happening with a non-SLR digicam, I would love to know which one!

Sincere apologies to others for whom this was a boring and off-topic post.

Cheers,

Christie.

Andrea,

I'm happy to let you have any of the pictures I took of Joe. I have at least three or four. Email me.

Christie,

Thanks for your kind words. The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 5700. It's considered a "prosumer" camera, not a DSLR, though definitely not a point and shoot. It's a 5 mega pixel camera and the in-camera zoom is quite good at 35 to 280 mm. I can get shutter speeds up to 1/4,000 of a sec. Most of those on the link were shot at around 1/1,000 of a sec. It will also do a three shot per second continuous burst mode that I use quite a bit for action shots. It's small enough and has the "whole package in one" enough to carry around everywhere. I love it.

Denise