BC Boards

Trimming toe nails

Mona Howard

Could someone recommend a type/brand of toe nail trimmer they like? The one I have now is on it's last legs and many years old. My Willy hates having his nails clipped. It seems odd to me that I have to do this about every two weeks. With my other two dogs I only had to do it maybe every two months. Oh, and where you got it too! Thanks!

Whole Dog Journal just had a 'coming soon' note about a clipper that somehow tells you if you're about to hit the quick. I've dremeled forever, but the pup really isn't too excited about that (yet, anyway...). I'm sure this new tool will be incredibly expensive....but may be worth it!

There's a link on Gen. Discussion about creating your own dog nail file - check it out! Interesting concept...

I used to use the guillotine style, but it seemed to cause a lot of chipping when I clipped their nails. I have a groomer friend who uses this style. The chipping stopped immediately when I switched to that type.

Some dogs' nails just grow faster than others. It could also be related to what he's eating that cause his nails to grow faster, or what type of surfaces he walks on. For example, grass, carpet, wooden or laminate floors don't wear down nails at all.

The scissor style nail clipper works way better than the guillotine type. They are usually much sharper, so cut fast and clean. Plus many of them (such as the Millers Forge brand) have a movable guard against the back so that you can only cut so far at one time which helps prevent quicking.

That being said, nothing beats a Dremel for doing nails in my opinion. It's fairly fast, you can get closer to the quick, get a smoother nail, most dogs actually seem to tolerate it much better than clippers and if you do happen to quick the dog it's instantly cauterized by the the heat of the sandpaper attachment on the Dremel.

My mom asked me to trim her 10 yr. old 100 lb. Lab's nails. They had gotten pretty long because he's gotten older and wasn't moving around as much - not playing with the younger dog, etc. He never really had his nails done before and he was very good about the Dremel even though he is deathly afraid of the vacuum cleaner. Handling him made me appreciate how much easier it is to manuever the BC's in comparison for stuff like that!