BC Boards

Ehrlichia Equii/Anaplasma phagocytophila

kelpiegirl

THere is much talk lately about this organism's prevelance in New England, and also about sub clinical disease (that is, bad things are happening to affected dogs without outward signs). Anyone have any information on this? AK dog dog? Liz??

I am thinking of getting all my dogs tested, but what then???

Thanks

Julie

Julie

If you think you might have an issue with Ehrlichia then have a tick panel run. If anyone comes back positive for it then treat. Tick diseases can be fatal or close to it left untreated but with treatment usually improve.

I've had some terrible issues with tick diseases. Almost killed my best dog. He was sick for a long time before we figured out what he had, and then it was almost a year before he was better. I don't think he'll ever be 100% but he's good enough for me.

TBD's are horrible and if ever I see any unexplained symptoms I test immediately. I'm also considering testing yearly as a precaution. Back in MO my vet does the quick test when he tests for heartworm yearly.

Kristen

If you think you have any kind of issues with any of the TBDs (tick-borne diseases), then please check out Tick-L. If you just google it, you'll find the list, and I can say it is the MOST helpful list I have ever been on. There are a couple of very knowledgeable vets on the list, too. Last year I had a pregnant bitch who (apparently) came down with one of the Ehrlichias (titers never did show anything), and the tick-L list helped me save her life and the 8 pups she was carrying!

The bottom line is, yes, you can indeed have chronic TBD, with or without symptoms; you can have negative titers with symptoms; you can have positive titers with no symptoms, etc. AND this stuff can go on forever. And it seems to be becomming more prevalent.

Anna

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my BC was dx'ed positive for Anaplasma in December, while my cocker is currently fighting for his life; supposedly only positive for lyme.

Don't gamble with tick born diseases. Often, by the time you see symptoms significant damage is already done. The SNAP4 test is affordable and will give you some sense of security about your dog's health. Yes, Anaplasma is definitely in the Hudson Valley of NY.

-Devi

Again--the BEST info can be found on tick-L, and a wonderful community of support,

Anna