BC Boards

"Lethal" whites...

Alicia

I was browsing the White Factor posts.. and noticed everyone calling them "Lethal" whites.. If they are "Lethal" wouldnt they be dead.. as in Horses a Lethal White (aka LWO or OLW) cant live. They die or have to be Euthanized (LWO are not to be confused with Cremellos and Perlinos) I've done extensive genetic research on horses, Know all about the genetics behind almots every color... BUt... Since White Border Collies exsist, are alive and well save the merle to merle breeding that can result in deaf and blind pups..but none die.. Why are they referred to as "Lethal"?

Many merle/merle pups die. Some die in utero, and others die shortly after birth (suffering).

I always assumed "lethal" refers to the fact that it can lead to unviable fetuses. Like the gene that produces hairlessness in my chinese crested. It's a dominant lethal like merle. Pups homozygous for the gene can't even be born alive. Merle isn't that bad but it can be for some individuals.

I know in Aussie merle x merle breedings that usually result in at least a few white factored pups, the breeder will cull these babies at birth as they are usually born deaf, blind or both making them unsellable, if they are born alive at all. Im guessing that its the same for bcs although the merle x merle may not be as prominent in the bc world as it is unfortunately in the aussie world. I remember many a time when the list would go up in flames when someone brought up the subject of merle x merle breeding and wanting advice on doing it. It was like chumming the water for sharks..not a pretty sight

Pat, you're right that merle x merle produces white or mostly white (not "white factored") puppies which frequently have defective sight and hearing in border collies as well as in Aussies. (You're also right that it's much less frequent in border collies, because merle itself is much less frequent, although with puppy millers pouring out merle BCs nowadays it may become more frequent.) I think people may use the term "lethal white" to describe that condition, and distinguish it from the extreme white-factoring Mark is referring to, which results from an entirely different gene. But it's sort of slang or shorthand, and not accurate.

Another example of the confusion that comes with undefined (or not universally accepted) terms.

The Border Collie Museum has lots of photos. There is a section of PATTERNED WHITE dogs. In the BLACK & WHITE section there are photos of dogs that are what I would call "white factored" (white up the inside of the back leg); for example Skye.

B%26WSkye4.jpg

When two white factored dogs are bred, Patterned White offspring are likely to be produced.

Mark

I just want to point out that when I went back and looked at some of those old threads, there was one poster who asked if her dog was a "lethal white." I didn't see any confusion as to what lethal white refers to (double merle dogs). That is, "everyone" was not calling white factored dogs "lethal whites". As others have pointed out here, lethal white has nothing to do with white factored.

The genetics of white factoring really is fascinating. You can breed two white factored dogs and get pups with a lot of white (patterned white) or pups with little or no white (or simply classically marked). Eileen, in your research have you ever come across a site that explains the "whys" of that?

J.

Ok, so it seems I may have been confusing posts on Merele to Merele "Lethal Whites" with "White Factor" posts. I could've sworn I saw a post on White Factor with the term "Lethal White" used frequently but I cants find it now

But, regardless, I hadnt considered Merle-Merle as Lethal as I thought the dogs survived but were just deaf and/or Blind. This was cleard up :rolleyes: Some die/may die in utero, some die shortly after birth, some are culled and few survive these situations :D That why it's termed "Lethal" I see now :D Thanks guys

So my girl, Dally is the result of a White Factor, White factor breeding. Both her parents had extensive belley side and collar white. and she is heavly white factored as the pics show (see, Gen Discussion about Whites with black on face)

:D Thanks guys for clearing that up for me

Pardon my typos, I'm cold and so shivering slightly and typing fast equals bad grammar and spelling lol that and my mouse keeps clicking for no reason, changin my typing area

>

Julie, the best site I know of with a general discussion of white factoring is http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/ColorGen.html . Scroll down to the discussion of the S locus (although there's plenty of other interesting stuff you'll be passing before you get there), which is the white-factor gene series.

The action of the alleles at the S locus is not very well understood. Hopefully, that will soon change now that we can work directly with the canine genome, but up to now, color genetics has been pretty much based on hypothetical constructs derived from observed results of various matings. These results do not always fit perfectly with the constructs, which leads to the tentative conclusion that there are various modifier genes which affect the expression of the basic S alleles. Different modifiers, or different distribution of modifiers, appear to be present in different breeds, and of course each of the pups in a single litter may inherit a different complex of modifiers.

The genetics of white-factoring has long fascinated me, and I can't wait for us to have a fuller and better explanation of it.

They need tests for color like in horses ;D