BC Boards

Recovery ideas?

MaggieDog

Now that Maggie is on the mend, I'm starting to come up w/ a plan to aid her recovery and return to 100%. Here's what's on my list to check into thus far. Feel free to add ideas and personal experiences as you wish!

- water treadmill/pool exercise

- TTouch

- chiropractic adjustment

- acupunture

- arnica (any suggestions on dosing?)

And of course she's on high quality food, getting lots of love, and being monitored closely.

Do a tiny test patch of arnica gel (if you are using the gel--don't know anything about other forms) somewhere on Maggie first.

My mother-in-law swears by it, uses it on herself, her pets, recommends it to everyone she knows. She recommended it to me when I had my wisdom teeth out and it turns out I am allergic to it. There I was, already miserable, and then I got this amazing blotchy rash from the arnica gel. Ugh.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Arnica also comes in pill form. You would need to call a vet or pharmacist type person to get a dosage - it all depends on the strength and such. My holistic vet does recommend diluting it in water before giving it because it helps more or something like that...

I have 6x pills (I think = 30cc) - My poodle - 11lbs - gets 1 pill/diluted 2-3 days a day. My acd -36 lbs- I will give her 5 pills at a time, not diluted. So it really all depends.

I've done the water therapy with my Westie and she did very well apart from having to dodge all the big dogs that tried to swim over the top of her. She had surgery for Legge Perthes disease. Jess (Border Collie) she loves to swim and I'd love to take her to the place I took my Hannah. It's great how they have these places now, we didn't have them until recent years here in Australia.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Am I wrong? I was under the impression that Arnica doesn't do much good if it's not used very quickly after incident. I would guess it wouldn't really benefit Maggie to use it now.

There is a product called Traumeel that is a natural remedy for injuries. It contains Arnica plus many other natural ingredients. I used to use Arnica, but I was given this by my canine rehab therapist and it works great. MUCH better than just Arnica--it comes in tablets, creams etc.

I would see if you can find some. Really helped with my dogs rehab.

Loretta

Thanks for the tip Loretta - I will head out to the natural foods place tomorrow to check into it.

I pushed Mags a bit too far on our evening walk today - she and I are not used to a .5 mile walk being too much for my girl; she was lagging on the way home and is sleeping again.