BC Boards

peeing in puddles?!

Not desperately important, but since there's not much going on here, feel free to have a guess:

Why does Kyla prefer to pee in the water (puddles, streams, rivers, lakes)?!? Ever seen a dog with that habit before?

She was pulled from an Irish kill shelter, and they apparently don't bother to keep any history of the dogs, so we don't know how she grew up...

I don't think she's marking the water, because she never marks anything else, but who knows.

Maybe she's just trying to be a crazy BC complete with a quirk :rolleyes: .

And here I thought Kessie was a princess! Geez.

She is very cute though - wiggle wiggle - and beautiful when she's not rolled in something greenish :D .

I'm more of a rough coat fan myself, but looking at her, I'm starting to believe that the smooth coat fans have a point, too!

DSCF4456kl.jpg

Am glad I am not alone in this quirky behavior......Tess pees in puddles constantly - - - she takes it even farther and pees in water dishes if I don't keep an eye on her! Picture this: her trying to pee into one of those little collapsible water dishes - - - :mad:

Here at home she doesn't do it - but at agility class and at the river walk with all her doggy friends she is relentless - - she tends to be rather dominant and we think it is her way of marking - - - one of my friend's daughters thinks she is trying to be 'human' and peeing over water like we do!!! LOLOLOL!!

Great pic of Kessie - - I like both the smooths and roughs - makes for such a nice variety!

Really? Wow, I didn't expect it was normal! Kessie did it only once, and that seemed to be a clear case of marking someone else's drinking puddle :mad: . So I unfairly suspected Kyla of having a few extra screws loose...sorry :rolleyes: .

Oh, and that's Kyla, not Kessie, btw . I love how similar they manage to look without actually having much in common physically.

Most people ask if they are littermates. No they aren't, I tell them, but they're both border collies. "But border collies are MUCH bigger and they have MUCH longer hair, their ears don't stand up and they don't have brown spots on their faces!" :D

I have noticed at trials that the females will go in the cooling tanks, but the boys will go on the side of the cooling tanks. However, once when we took the dogs to the river, Cheyenne went in the river but real close to the edge, when Jackson seen her, he peed on top of where she went, but that was the only time!

I've seen a number of male dogs pee in the cooling tank after a run/training session. It's interesting because I've seen it most consistently among some dogs of a particular breed and from a particular breeder. I wondered if it was something they "learned" as youngsters or something that was common in the breed.

I've never really noticed the bitches doing it like the dogs do. I sure am not excited about Celt using the tank after one of these whizzers!

None of my dogs pee in puddles, ponds, streams, rivers, cooling tanks or stock tanks...yet.

Kyla is beautiful but I think Kessie's pretty, too. What an eager face!

Turbo, the aussie pees in puddles, streams, rivers, lakes....any body of water he finds. Sometimes he has a drink and then just as he's finishing, squats and pees. He's also pooped in the river before more than once! Wierd dog! He started this peeing in water thing when he was just a puppy about 4 months old and is comming up on 2 years old now.

Thanks for all the replies! Much more common than I thought then...

Actually I'm glad about ANY place that makes Kyla want to pee on it because she's incredibly picky about it. The options are

a) short grass, but much preferably somewhere she's peed before

:rolleyes: sawdust

c) carpet (not a single time yesterday, woo hoo! :D )

d) water

Not sure if that's preferable to Kessie's wish to have an audience present when she poops...especially an audience of the "dogs = poop" mentality, in front of whom I'm silently begging her NOT to do it. If I'm really, really embarrassed she'll even add an encore, i.e. a butt scoot .

And sorry Kyla didn't mean to call you Kessie!
I think she'd feel honored to be mistaken for Kessie! She already thinks of herself as my mum's dog, and sulks if she can't come to work with her, but she likes to run around with me and Kessie as well. She still has so much to discover!

You know Kessie was a bit of a wise-*ss before... having a little admirer padding after her hasn't changed that for the better at all :D .

Originally posted by Meg's mum:

Meg doesn't pee in puddles...yet. But she has started to pee on her tennis balls :rolleyes:

I hear you, Heidi! :mad: My male dog has started to pee on his frisbee and on his tennis balls, when we're outside playing. Delightful habit, which marks the end of our game, with me looking for a clean plastic poopy bag to capture the marked device.

He stops for a pee, the suddenly drops his frisbee, takes one more step, to put it in position, and here he goes. :mad: :mad:

Kessie does that sometimes, but only very rarely, and luckily she normally misses her target .