BC Boards

Intestinal distress. *sigh*

SQinAZ

First, I have to thank Eileen and everyone who posts here, as I was able to search this site and find solutions to Beck's problem with diarrhea. Thank you all for sharing your problems, and your solutions. And a huge amount of thanks to Eileen for creating and maintaining these boards for Border Collie lovers. (((HUGS)))

Beck started showing symptoms of intestinal distress in May. As in having icky diarrhea on my carpeting when I wasn't home to let her out. I'm sure she was humiliated and she was never punished or made to feel guilty by these accidents.

I attributed this, finally, to the time I had started feeding her from a new 40+ lb. bag of the kibble she had been eating before I ever met her...Pedigree Adult Small Crunchy Bites. It took me a while to make this determination, because I'm ignorant, and until the problem repeated, I figured it was just a fluke.

I started her on boiled chicken and rice, and that helped, although her stool was very different than it had been before. As in more solid, and lighter in color. I tried mixing in her normal kibble after a few weeks, and we went back to the diarrhea. That is when I knew for a fact that she could no longer eat the Pedigree.

As Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice was not only convenient to purchase at a PetSmart, but also stated that it didn't contain what most kibble did and what normally upset doggie's tummies, I bought that and slowly started mixing it in with the boiled chicken and rice. Beck seemed to like it, and her stool was much better, thank God!

Then, because of all the good things I have read here about Canidae, I decided to try switching Beck to that, by adding it slowly to the Nature's Recipe (which I still have been augmenting with some boiled chicken as Beck loves that "topping").

Well, the stools are still good, but Beck prefers the Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice. She left a lot of the Canidae in the bowl this morning, whereas she will eat the Nature's Recipe as a treat if I give her a few nuggets.

To make a long story/post short....can anyone tell me any compelling reasons that long term feeding of Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice for Adults may not be the best for my Beck? Or, if it is a good choice, I will thank you now, and try and make her feeding time an enjoyable time. I want to feed her what she likes, but only if it is healthy for her in general.

Have I mentioned how I have praised Beck when she has had solid poops? Poor baby thinks it's okay to stand guard in my bathroom with me, but feels violated when I go out back to watch what is coming out of her. *LOL*