BC Boards

Tight tummy - worried

MaggieDog

Cross posting this to both of the BC boards I'm on to get as many thoughts as possible on this new situation...

I just noticed this evening that Maggie's abdomen seems 'full' and kinda tight and that she's been trying to drink alot of water after our walk at 6pm (3 hours ago).

She doesn't seem to be in pain, just a bit sluggish. Her gums look ok and her refill time is normal. Eyes are clear, breathing normal, nose wet and just a bit warm.

I'm worried that something is wrong, but don't know what it could be. I have the number for an ER vet here if necessary, but being on a tight budget and prone to blowing things out of proportion I don't want to just rush over there and find out it's nothing; of course I don't want to risk my dog either.

Any thoughts? I first thought bloat but I dunno -- doesn't that usually have other symptoms like unproductive vomiting and pain?

I'd probably call the ER vet anyway, and describe the situation, and let them make the call. My first thought was bloat too - and if that's the case, no time to lose.

Is she hunching over at all? Any apparent pain?

Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but if it were me, I'd certainly be making the phone call. (But then I tend to be a bit of a worry wart - and as I've said before - my vet's best client!)

Hope all goes well.

Ok I have something of an explanation - my housemate told me that she ate a large bag of liver treats sometime today. That would def explain the full tummy and increased water consumption.

I think I will call the vet and see what tey have to say, but she's done the whole "bloated food hog" thing before and was fine. Sometimes I think I have a furry pig instead of a BC lol.

Update :

Called the ER clinic; they say that I should keep an eye on her for 24 hours but that she should be fine. Generally eating that much food will prevent torsion according to the person I talked to, so that makes me feel lots better.

They also said that restricting water was ok if she's drinking excessively - sometimes that's a signal that the dog is feeling sick to their stomach I guess.

Maggie will be coming to work with me tomorrow and I'll keep one ear open for unproductive vomiting sounds and pacing tonight - the clinic person said that those symptoms are most common and occur earliest.

Thanks for the thoughts and such!

Thanks for the update, MaggieDog. Sounds like you got a really nice, helpful person when you called the ER clinic too - that's great.

These dogs really like to get us worried, don't they.

Hope all is well tonight.

Yup everything seems to be working out ok - she was fasted for 24 hours and her tummy is much better now. Not even diarrhea! Crazy dog!