BC Boards

licking wounds

muddy bob

I have a bitch that will not leave small wounds on her forelegs alone. I have used every deterrant spray I can find. She chews right through elizabethan collars. These wounds start out as insignificant and end up quite ugly. I recently bought some wraps that were supposed to be resistant to this sort of thing. Guess how long they lasted! In the past if I could keep her away from the wound it would heal and she would no longer lick. But now she goes through everthing just to get at it. I'm designing an e-collar out of aluminum for my friend to cut on the plasma cutter but if any of you have a better idea I would love to here it. Thanks.

I had a female who would nervously and obsessively lick her back paws if she weren't getting enough work. Since she was one of those rare dogs that actually needs the proverbial hundred miles of work, and I only had a small farm, she was nervous and obsessive quite often. :rolleyes:

I discovered that tea tree oil was the only thing she wouldn't touch. If you can find an ointment with tea tree oil as the primary ingredient, that's best because it stays on longer. You do have to keep applying it. And of course it's also a tremendously effective wound care product.

You'd have to combine this with behavior modification and distraction for it to be completely effective.

I've had good luck with tea tree oil put on as soon as I notice a spot/scratch. It smells like Pinesol (very pungent) to me, and has antiseptic properties. It may not be enough in your case - she sounds determined!

Edit: posting at the same time as Becca!

LOL, my dogs think hot sauce is a great condiment. They are actually attracted to it. Every one of them will help lick out the bowl when I make buffalo sauce.

I think tea tree smells like a weird combination of fresh dirt and pine-sol. I use it on Ben when he has a allergic breakout. Even though he itches so intensely when untreated, that he often rips out sections of hair inches wide, he'll never touch anything treated with tea tree.

Guest grscott
Originally posted by muddy bob:

I have a bitch that will not leave small wounds on her forelegs alone. I have used every deterrant spray I can find. She chews right through elizabethan collars. These wounds start out as insignificant and end up quite ugly. I recently bought some wraps that were supposed to be resistant to this sort of thing. Guess how long they lasted! In the past if I could keep her away from the wound it would heal and she would no longer lick. But now she goes through everthing just to get at it. I'm designing an e-collar out of aluminum for my friend to cut on the plasma cutter but if any of you have a better idea I would love to here it. Thanks.

Sounds like lick granuloma. What does the vet say?

Regards

Tea Tree Oil works great! I had one dog who had to be hobbled 24/7 for about a month... the hobbles were made out of fleece, which I then dipped in TTO - the dog, who LOVES to lick BTW, never touched them. The TTO would stink up the car on extended road trips though! LOL

-Laura

Bob,

I really recommend the greyhound muzzle before a metal e-collar. E-collars are uncomfortable and dangerous enough (just ask anyone's knees who has had an e-collar run full speed into them or the walls when said dog runs into them) when they are plastic. The muzzles are not expensive and if you take a day or two to accustom your dog to it they really don't mind wearing them. Greyhounds wear them all the time and when I have seen them used on border collies they work great!

Olivia

O.K. Olivia, I had forgotten that you posted this. Tomorrow I'll order the thing. Are you sure she won't be able to remove it on her own? What size did you use? I don't mind spending money but I'm sure tired of the waste lately.

Thanks and I will let you know how it goes.

P.S. What the heck is a stool guard?

Some dogs can practice self mutilation out of an anxiety disorder.

I don't know anything about you or your dog but is she getting the exercise she needs? Is she getting the mental stimulation she needs? Is she stressed out?

The cause of the licking and picking should be determined first.

You're the funny poop guy! That was hilarious! Y'all should go up in the livestock section and read the "ok to eat manure?" thread! :rolleyes:

Let's call her "bess." Name changed to protect her identity. Bess probably does not get enough exercise. I do my best, but she's a hundred mile a day dog on a twenty-five mile budget. She's not a good working dog, lord knows I've tried. So I focus on the two that are. I don't have time for a new "sport" with her. She does get lot's of running for balls in the pasture. And lately I've been bringing her to work with me. She seems happier unconfined but that just is not realistic for all the time. Short of rehoming her (she is in many ways my favourite dog. NOT going to happen) or medicating her, I don't see another alternative but to keep her away from the front feet 'til they healed.

muddybob, the funny poop gal

P.S. I KNOW I'll never that name down. Thanks a lot Miztiki

Bob the funny poop gal!

(Didn't realize you were a woman, sorry)

What about mental stimulation?

What about stress?

My dogs don't do sports or work and my Fynne is very active and was a total mess when I got her.

Shows back on. Let me know about the mental stimulation and if there she's a stressed dog.

Crossword puzzles? Sorta! :rolleyes:

BC's are very intelligent. If they are not given regular opportunities to use that great brain of theirs then they can literally go nuts (to varying degrees of course).

NILIF, obedience and trick training, and games can help to work the mind.

For instance, instead of just throwing a ball, have Bess do stuff first, like wait, and then creep up on it one step at a time, and maybe even back up a bit before letting her take it.

There, now you've combined physical exercise with mental stimulation.

Hide & seek is a mentally challenging game and can give your dog a little exercise in the process. We have 3 acres and mine will look all over for a treat. I've hidden them in the ground, up in a tree, under stuff that's safe to knock out of the way, etc.

NILIF can keeep an obsessive-compulsive dog focused and grounded. Obedience and trick training can be fun and challenging for their mind.

Heeling *properly* on a leash can be a way to incorporate mental stimulation with physical exercise. By proper I mean 100% focused on walking right beside you, and not sniffing, pulling, or missing a beat when you suddenly turn.

Instead of just feeding her her food in a bowl, make her work for it. Do a search in the General section of this board for a thread called "101 ways to feed kibble" (or something like that) with my user name in the search field.

Fynne is an active dog with obessive-compulsive tendencies. She had literally paced a well worn figure-8 path in the yard of her previous owner's. She had no structure, no boundaries, no training, never went anywhere, was not socialized...

She's my project dog. :D She's so much better now; calm, relaxed, obedient, and not obsessive. She was SO incredibly stressed the first 3 1/2 weeks we had her. Pure hell.

Anyway, those are some ways to increase her mental and physical needs without quitting your job and doing herding or agility.

I've been laid up with a broken ankle for 3 1/2 weeks now. I need to be creative in finding ways to keep them satisfied with me on the couch and my foot propped up 90% of the day. They are learning fetch and I'm going to start a thread about it later because this is a big accomplishment for Boy! :D

You've given me lots to consider and I appreciate the thought you've put into helping us. Perhaps I will resume tracking with her. We can do that on the property here. It's been a while since we've done it. When we moved here I fell out of the habit.

I hope you mend quickly. A couple weeks ago I fell and sprained my ankle while shedding with the boy. I was on crutches for a short while. It still hurts like a *@#$%& when I need to get to sleep.

Muddybob

Hello,

I got a large for my boy dog but he has a pretty big head. He was never been able to get it off.

Maybe try more mental exercise and when you crate her have her wear the muzzle to let her sore heal. After she is healed you could try weaning off the muzzle while keeping an eye on her legs and feet. If you see a brownish stain indicating she is licking you can up the use of the muzzle again.

Olivia