BC Boards

Swollen Glands Problem...

amaralfan1

Hey everyone, I am new on the board and I figured I would come over here to see if anyone has heard of our Border Collie's problem.

Harry has had a reoccurring problem since he was about 1 year old (he is now 8) that causes the glands in his throat to swell up rather large. His skin also appears to warm up (almost like hot spots). His sinus's also clog up and he is in a lot of discomfort. Glands all over his body will also swell up on occasion. We have taken Harry to several vets and none have been able to diagnose him. His samples have been sent off to UNC and they have also been unable to diagnose him. We adopted Harry over in England and brought him to the U.S. when he was still very young (about 8 weeks). I was curious if anyone has heard of these symptoms before.

Nick

We had a young foster (BC)that was VERY ill after coming into our care, high fever, swollen glands, in neck and also back end, , body aches..turned into aspirate pnuemonia, never diagnosed , was thought to be a bacterial or immune problem. Cleared after a lengthy time with LARGE amounts of antibiotics.. we wondered if this would be a on going issue through his life? Have you ever had a Tick panel done on him?(I am assuming so..)This was something that we thought it might be but came back neg.. also did cultures on his glands ect.

Originally posted by mosstheboss2000:

We had a young foster (BC)that was VERY ill after coming into our care, high fever, swollen glands, in neck and also back end, , body aches..turned into aspirate pnuemonia, never diagnosed , was thought to be a bacterial or immune problem. Cleared after a lengthy time with LARGE amounts of antibiotics.. we wondered if this would be a on going issue through his life? Have you ever had a Tick panel done on him?(I am assuming so..)This was something that we thought it might be but came back neg.. also did cultures on his glands ect.

Moss,

That sounds exactly like what Harry does. He has had the full gambit of tests run on him. He has been misdiagnosed with cancer in the past. Normally they put him on Prednisone and it eventually goes away. We really haven't seen a common cause each time he gets the symptoms. I am a student at the University of Tennessee and my parents always say they should just send him down here to have some tests run. Does anyone know if Colleges generally do things like that?

Nick

Nick,

If Univ of Tenn has a veterinary college, then yes, they most probably would take him as a patient. You might need a referral from your regular vet.

If your school doesn't have a vet school, look around for one either in TN or in a nearby state. Vet schools are often more skilled at diagnostics, simply because they've got lots of minds looking at the probelm.

Good luck, I hope you find out what the trouble is.

Ruth n the BC3

Yes Cancer was something that it was thought to be....?? His glands were the size of golf balls??It was really odd...We ran SO many test ect.. nothing conclusive and the vet said it might just be a immune problem and something that may be a chronic problem..?? We didnt put him on Pred but the vet said probably it would of just cleared it up and he felt that would indicate a immune issue. Even once we thought he was better he had another spike of temperature and fell sick again... at times he was hitting 105 and we spent a night literally iceing him down and popping aspirin into him wondering if he was going to live... :rolleyes: Finally after 6 full weeks of antibiotics it seemed to of kicked it.

If you have the resources it would definitely be worth investigating...