BC Boards

Limping dog - any ideas?

Maralynn

Missy started favoring one of her hind legs today. She jumped off the bed this morning and would hardly put weight on it. After about 10 min of walking around, she was using the leg and just limping a little on it. Within an hour or so I could barely tell she was limping, and she stayed like that for the rest of the day. I also limited her exercise today.

Tonight she was laying on my lap for a while, and when she got off, the limp was back again. She puts her leg down, but hardly puts any weight on it, but after a minute or two is walking more normal. It appears that she is a bit uncomfortable, but not really in pain.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning, but was wondering in the mean time if anyone has an idea of what could be going on here?

Good idea to go to the vet. Allie just got off of 2 weeks restricted activity for an injury to her front left shoulder. She had similar symptoms -- stiffness and favoring until she had been walking around and then it seemed mostly okay, until she was sitting down for a while then got back up. In Allie's case, I was concerned about OCD, but radiographs showed that didn't appear to be the case. It was most likely a soft tissue injury and the enforced rest and inactivity really did help. She is now on regular walks, but is still supposed to limit the running and frisbee.

Flrpwr52's dog, Ari, has a hind leg injury and is unfortunately in the 3 or 4th week of 6-8 restricted activity and can only go outside for potty breaks. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of things that the vet will look at and don't assume the worst (I, of course, looked up all of the bad things Allie's injury could be, but it was not any of them. ).

Good luck at the vet and let us know how it goes.

Maralynn I wish you the best with Missy.

As Deb said Ari is now in her 4th week of restriction and it is not fun.

The vet took x-rays and saw nothing but that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. It could be a soft tissue injury, a knee, a hip or something wrong in the spine.

I am following the vets orders to the letter and after next week she will be x-rayed again, then have 2 more weeks of restriction before she can go out on a long lead and play for 10 minutes a day.

I can only say if you suspect something is wrong limit her attivity until you can get to the vet. Keep her on a lead when she is outside and most of all no running or jumping.

I pray the best for both of you.

OK Guys - I've got a different approach to this. Please keep in mind that my guys are working dogs and are active every day. A week doesn't pass when one of my five dogs doesn't limp or isn't sore. My husband and I, too, work in the barn, ride horseback, hike, etc. - and get sore. If I took my guys in to the vet every time they limp, I'd be in the poorhouse. I usually wait 24-48 hours to see if my guys are more comfortable and will try to rest them (sometimes I work them even when they're limping slightly, because I need them). Knock on wood, none of the dogs has had a serious injury that didn't pass with time. Maybe we're lucky - and the dogs are in good shape - but I think occasional, transient aches and pains are normal in active dogs. Of course, I also think that YOU know your dog best and if YOU think it's more than a "normal ache and pain" it's important to see your vet. But I don't think that people should feel compelled to see a vet everytime their dog limps.

Kim

I agree about waiting and observing for a few days. I think what I didn't mention in my reply to Maralynn was that Allie had her limp off and on for about 8 days before I took her in.

Because the limp mostly went away when she was active, I waited a little longer than perhaps I should have. 24 - 48 hrs. is a pretty good idea. I wouldn't wait more than a week again.

Same with Ari, I waited just over a week also. I would never wait that long again.

Ari was not quite 5 months when she started limping and I thought it was strange for a young pup to be that sore from playing that it would cause her to limp.

You know your dog and you have to do what you feel is right. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses. I called the vet's office this morning and the receptionist said that the vet wouldn't be in today. So, I made an appointment for Monday, and will take her in then if her leg is still bothering her. The recptionist asked if Miss had done anything unusual and I was thinking, no, but you should see this dog's "normal" workout!

It's always hard to know when to call the vet, especially since I'm working long, odd hours right now.

She favored the leg a little this morning, but is not right now. So we'll see what happens this weekend.

Poor dog was begging to work sheep this morning and had to settle for following the bottle lamb around!

Years ago, one of my dogs ruptured a long digital extensor tendon. The surgeon (busy SoCal practice) told me he'd seen this type of injury twice in a couple decades. The dog made a full recovery following arthroscopic surgery (and is sleeping at my feet as I type).

(And yes, I've posted about this long digital extensor tendon injury every single time there has been an ACL/"my dog is limping" thread. Knee-jerk reaction---sorry :rolleyes: )

I took Pegasus in to the vet after he had started limping while playing and it wasen't untill the 3rd or 4th trip that I asked to have x-rays taken since every time we were there he showed no signs of being injuried. But the x-rays showed OCD, an that he would need surgery to correct it and between all of the restricted activity that he was put on, from his first visit to the vet and from the surgery Pegasus ended up with about 18 to 20 weeks of restricted activity only going outside to use the bathroom. A long time for a 6 mo. old BC pup not to be allowed to run an play. Best of luck.

Tom and Pegasus

I agree about waiting a couple days but ACL injuries are a pain. My acd had a limp off and on for over a year before she finally blew the acl. They now think that she had a partial tear that entire time but they don't do surgery for partial tears. So even if we would have known about the tear we would still let her continue her activities (flyball, frisbee, etc...) since she needs activity. ACL tear do not repair themselves and we knew we would do surgery when needed...

Hope the pup is doing better

Gee, my first time using this website and you all have the topicI was concerned about covered. My Chelsea (5 year old) Border Collie has been limping on her right back leg. When rested, it is somewhat better, then she will chase a bird or squirrel and run on it and be limping again. Keeping her restricted is very difficult, like I read from what all of you wrote,so if hse is not improved, we are off to the vet. She had this problem in the past, but it always went away sooner it seemed.