BC Boards

epilepsy & cough

Bart

my 2.5 bc has had two episodes in 1.5 years, one just yesterday. He can't stand up and trembles. Does not lose consciousness and does not froth, just looks pathetic and will let you comfort him. the first 1.5 years ago (we spend a lot of time with our dogs, it is possible he had others) was about 15 seconds this one lasted much longer at least 1-2 minutes. As before he his perfectly normal after the episode. Also and I think unrelated he has a little cough like he is clearing his throat that is so intermittent two vets said to ignore it. It never happens under stress and more often than not, when his under NOT stress. We have checked for everything and it does not seem to be contagious since my other two BC's do not have it.

Sorry to hear about your dog's troubles. We had a GSD/Collie mix that developed seizures at age 11. He was put on a daily prescription of potassium bromide. Once he began the medication he didn't have any more episodes. (With the exception of one time when he inadvertently missed two doses in a row due to a caregiver mixup while we were on vacation.) Is your pup on meds?

Our dog's seizures were generally more severe than you have described (grand mal). It is frightening to watch and you feel so bad, because all you can do it comfort them and keep them clear from objects they might hurt themselves on. Hang in there - most dogs live long productive lives, even with epilepsy or seizure syndrome.