BC Boards

Need Help

I'm new to this board, and I need to get some help.

I'm wondering how many of you out there have used Ivomec on Border Collies for demodex?

I have a severe case in my rescue, and I don't think I have time to get a DNA test done.

Can anyone tell me if the percentage of BC's are negitive who have been tested for sensitivity??

Thank you

Jill

Jill,

There's a method of progressively increasing the ivermectin dose from the low amounts used for HW prevention to the higher amount needed for treating mange. I don't remember the exact procedure, but your vet should know it. The idea is that if there's going to be a problem it will happen during the lower dose regime (and so won't be so severe), but for the life of me I can't remember the details. You might also try the American Working Collie Association web site (I think it's www.awca.net but if that's not it, you can just Google it)--I have read that site, but don't remember if they mention what I'm talking about or not--look for the section on drug sensitivity. (Do you see a memory problem theme running through this post?) At any rate, your vet ought to be able to help you with this.

J.