BC Boards

tumor/bleeding/help please

Caroline

Hi folks,

My old dog has what is probably a spindle cell tumor on his right hind leg. He has been seen at two vets, and the tumor is not a good candidate for removal. He is 14 and these types often grow back more aggressively. Today he got up from lying down and had rubbed it raw and it was bleeding. It is quite vascularized. I have wrapped it in nonstick telfa pad and vetwrap. He hates that. Any ideas before the vet tomorrow?

Thanks,

Caroline

Caroline,

Sorry to hear about your old boy. Check with your vet, but there's some stuff called Wonder Dust that you can find in the equine section of ranch/feed stores. The medicinal ingredients are:

iodoform

potassium alum

flowers of sulfur

tannic acid

activated charcoal

copper sulfate

hydrated lime.

I've used it on my guys for years, it stops hotspots and that sort of thing really fast, and doesn't seem to distress them much. My understanding is that Wonder Dust has been around for years. If your boy's wound is just surface from rubbing/friction, the WD might be just the ticket.

Ruth n the BC3

My GSD had a ulcer on his abdomen which I used Wonderdust on and it got worse, so some dogs may be sensitive to this product. There are some (human) dressings/topicals that stop bleeding. You might want to call your pharmacy and see if they have one in stock.

Kim

My vet sent a biosy of the wound margins to Cornell and they said that calcium crystals in the skin were irritating him. This was consistent with the lime in the ingredients, but we had also had our fields limed ealier that year, so who knows? Anyway, I did stop using the Wonderdust and it took about 2 months for the ulcer to completely heal (it was fairly superficial - may 1/8 inch deep - but probably 2" x 1" in size). He was put on Benadryl, steroids and some topical cream . . . I don't think I'd use it again on a dog.

It's always an adventure around here . . !

Kim

Well I was able to use a telfa pad last night on it as the tumour is pretty hairless, so at least it didn't bleed on stuff in the night. However, when he gets up to walk around, just the tightness of the skin pulls it open quite often and it bleeds into the pad. I am going to the vet now to have them take a look. Thanks you guys! I am concerned about him. He was still eager to play ball yesterday, and today so far it doesn't appear to bother him. I appreciate your input.

Caroline

It is Charlie, he is the old guy. I don't have a page for them, they need one! I don't know how to do that stuff. Charlie went to the vet today and they suggested buying him a few months (3-6) with de-bulking the tumor. This will be done tomorrow. He had senior bloodwork done today and his numbers are good. His quality of life is good, well right now with a blue e-collar, he doesn't think so. He gave me the evil eye after we bandaged him and put a pair of pantyhose on him to hold the telfa pad and sanitary napkin over his open wound. They are fitting him in tomorrow afternoon and he will stay overnight and get I.V. fluids. I wish I had a page for them, I was thinking of scanning (but I don't have a scanner) pictures in for Charlie from pup to senior on a thread on here somewhere. No scanner though.

But the main thing, send good vibes for him tomorrow! He is my heart dog.

Caroline

Thanks for your concern and help!