BC Boards

Dogs making themselves sick?

Shetlander

Can a dog who is in pain get so distressed that he causes himself to run a fever? my friend's Chihuahua pup, Kiba, was neutered last week. Wednesday I think. On Friday, he started acting sick, lethargic, warm. On Saturday, he was feverish and refusing to eat as well. They took him to the vet who did the surgery and the pup had a 103 temp, which I know isn't that high but combined with the symptoms and after a surgery?. Anyway the vet didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, the incision looked fine and he said that Chi's tend to make a big deal out of discomfort.

Well, by Saturday evening Kiba was really sick, just laying there, not drinking or eating. So they took him to an emergency vet. By that point Kiba's temp was 104 and the vet gave them antibiotics. He said that Kiba seemed to have an infection though it could well be that it had nothing to do with the operation. Well, Kiba is still having ups and downs. He runs a low fever 103 from time to time and his energy level varies. They took him back to the original vet yesterday who agreed to do some labwork, but again stated that the thought Kiba was "making a big deal out of things" which was causing him to run a fever.

My friend is starting to get ticked off and so am I. The urinalysis came back fine. They're still waiting on the results for the bloodwork. Have you heard of dogs giving themselves fevers because of discomfort? And it's been a week since the operation so why is he in discomfort anyway? I think she should go to the vet she saw on emergency who acted like he took the dog's problem more seriously.

No. Dogs do not give themselves fevers. They can, if stressed increase their body temp, but you usually see concomittant panting, shaking, that sort of thing (which can indicate pain too). He may be in pain. I think that you and the owner being ticked off is a good thing I advise seeing another vet, if nothing else to ensure ALL possibilities are considered, and in an un-biased fashion. Chi's with their very small body size are less resilient to things like low glucose etc. Go with your gut on this, and take him to another vet.

Julie

I totally agree w/Julie, a dog that small and young should not be dismissed as 'he's making too big a deal of things.' I'd be looking for a new vet really quickly.

And, (I'm getting really steamed about this vet) regardless of WHY the poor pup is ill, HE'S STILL ILL! Running a temp and being off their feed for more than a day or so is a big deal for any dog, much less a tiny breed pup.

Hope your friend finds a good vet for Kiba soon, and that he feels better fast.

Ruth n the BC3

Thanks, Julie and Ruth. I shared your thoughts with my friend and she felt much better. She was starting to feel like she was crazy, so it was good to get validation from someone besides me. I haven't heard yet about the bloodwork. I hope the little guy is ok. He really is a cutie.

Liz

The bloodwork shows that Kiba does in fact have an infection. They are going to culture his urine to see if anything shows up. The good news is my friend reports that Kiba is back to his old self so maybe the antibiotics he started on last Saturday are finally winning the battle against whatever it is he has. I did tell my friend that she needs to switch vets. I don't think we should need to fight to get our dogs the care they need.

Liz