BC Boards

allergies

Rhapsody

I have a Border collie /akita mix who seems to have skin allergies .We did the vet thing of shots and prednisone for the itching to no real satisfaction for her or me. Recently a stop in a pet store and talked with the staff there and he suggested she may have an allergy to chicken protein and we switched her food to Performatrin natural lamb and rice.Beleive it or not in one week I saw a difference.Now on our second bag but one problem still remains she is still biting her tail till it bleeds and suggestions on this.The vet says it is part of her allergies. The under part of her belly and back legs used to be bright red itchy and she had what I referred as cradle cap over her back. She is 10yrs. old and any help would be appreciated

Ouch...

Barra developed a hot spot after swimming a few summers ago- just started chewing and worrying at one spot on her side until her skin was raw. I did NOT want to use steroids or antibiotics unless I had no other options, so I tried a mix of apple cider vinegar and water (1:10) in a spray bottle, and it cleared up very nicely.

It may be that the spot on her tail is infected/inflammed, thus is an ongoing problem event though the allergens aren't present. If that's the only problem she still has, no other itching, that's what I'd suspect. You could ask the vet for a topical antibiotic for it or get some neosporin or something similar at the drug store.

Trim away the hair around that spot in order to let it 'breathe.' If you use a cream, make sure you keep her from licking the spot right after you apply it, at least for 10 minutes or so, so that it can soak in and do some good.

Good luck! Also, try adding fish oil, 1 or 2 caps squeezed onto her food. That can really help with itchy skin.

Ruth n the BC3

"Trim away the hair around that spot in order to let it 'breathe.' If you use a cream, make sure you keep her from licking the spot"

That is great advice. I have found that putting Tea Tree Oil on a spot after shaving it not only dries up the spot really nicely but the smell drives the dogs a little crazy and not only won't they lick it they actually try to get away from themselves for awhile. Its kind of funny when they realize it is them that smells. I use it straight but you can cut it with a little water too

Tina