BC Boards

Best toys from 2006/Recs for 2007?

The Busy Buddy toys!!!! Maggie loves the disk one she got for xmas.

I also like Tuffies dog toys - they're soft and squeaky, but can withstand a rottie mix's jaws for over 18 months!

We love the big rope bones with knots. Hoku love to tear things apart, and with those, he can and they last a couple of weeks (tho we do end up with massive string craziness on the rug!)

IMG_4952.jpg

Any of the tough rubber toys that you can put cookie in (Busy buddie, kong, etc) will keep him going for a while.

He also loves this ball we have that has a hole in it. The ball looks like the moon (with craters) and you put kibble in it. They roll it around and the kibble pops out randomly. Big time fun, and keeps him busy for a long time.

By far it was the Kong frisbee, although he's starting to play with the tennis ball more now. I have seen those before. They feel weird but I bet he would like it.

That looks like what Black Jack's rope toy looked like a few days ago :eek: :rolleyes: fun cleaning it up isn't it? lol. add shag carpet and the fun really adds up

Hoku's mum, we go through rope bones in about an hour! DH has banned them from our house because they don't last and create a ginormous mess...and of course, Jacko tries to eat the strings after he's torn it all apart.

I'll have to look for the Tuffies toys, I wonder if they could withstand his chewing. We do have an A-maze-n ball which he loves, and I need to find his Kong. He lost it in the backyard. Do you know the name of the moon ball with craters? That sounds like fun!

Does anyone have one of these "balls" that looks like an egg? Someone told me it's really for horses, but we once met a collie who LOVED this particular toy - it's large enough they can't pick it up in their mouths, and if they try it squirts away. It's herding fun for everyone! Anyway, the person who had it told me what it was called and said it could be found at a farm store, but I can't remember the name of it and the people at the farm stores look at me like I'm nuts. Even google couldn't help me out.

Oh, and what's the deal with the Kong frisbee? Someone else mentioned one...how is it different/better than a regular frisbee?

The crater ball is tricky treat ball

We got it at Petco, I think.

I know what you mean about the mess of the deconstructed rope bone, but he LOVES to tear 'em apart, so we give him that one thing to DISTROY :eek: . Luckily, he doesnt eat the string

thank you! I'll have to look for that ball next time I'm out and about.

We're lucky - Jacko is just as happy with a regular ol' bone as he is with a rope bone. Since the regular ones last longer (not much, but a few minutes anyway!) we just give him those instead. Boy I wish he wasn't such a power chewer though. We can go through a decent (large) sized rawhide in about 3 hours.

That egg shaped ball looks like it would be fun. The longest lasting toys in our house so far have been a Kong ball - it has biscuit shaped holes in it. Sometimes we actually use it like that - shove a bicuit inside - takes Bo a while to get it out. The other is a blue rubber bone with nubbies all over it - you are supposed to be able to fill it with water, but we never did. It has lasted almost a year! I don't remember who makes it - maybe Hartz? The things that don't last long - anything stuffed or made with rope. Stuffed always gets gutted - white fill everywhere. Ropes get shredded. But he sure has fun doing it!!

Buzz's favorites are

bully sticks

cuz

kong with yogurt & kibble frozen inside

anything from fat cat toys

tuffies

fleece cut into 4" strips and knotted & braided

He's not a power chewer, I'd give him a 7 on a 1-10 scale, but I'd say that all of the above are worth a try, they seem pretty durable.

oh, and this gave his mouth a real work out...

workingout.jpg

The Flippy-Flop is Violet's favorite. It's like a frisbee but with a flexible rim and nylon covering.

She actually asked me to get her one. :rolleyes: We were visiting her former home and she went and dug out the Flippy-Flop and brought it to me, over and over. When I brought her one of her very own the next day from Tractor Supply, she was overjoyed. You could see her thinking, "well, this human has potential - it's almost as if she can communicate."

Puppy Faith likes anything Violet wants - her favorite thing is getting Vi to chase her, which Violet (who still thinks Faith has cooties) won't do unless Faith steals something of hers and runs with it.

My dogs favorite thing to play with isn't a dog toy. It's an RC car and he's not supposed to but if he's around and someone uses a remote control car he goes nuts. I need to get his recall down so I can stop him from doing that.

He also LOVES frisbees and tennis balls. And his Kong. And socks or gloves, but I'm trying to teach him not to play with those so much as well.

The good old ball with a rope has yet to be beaten, as far as I'm concerned...you can do almost anything with it (including torturing your dog, as the pic proves ), and you can throw it very far even if you can't throw anything else properly.

DSCF0245kl.jpg

Also popular are the squeeky toy and the tug rope (they shove them in each other's faces in the evening if they want to play ).

Squeeky tennis balls last about 20 minutes with Misty, but she LOVES them, I buy her a pack or 2 whenever I go to petsmart.

Jolly Ball is the other fav. they all love it, Misty doesnt like anything she cant pick up so the handle is great, Happy likes toys big enugh to roll and throw and such, so it works great for her too, plus even covered in punctures, it is still in fine condition, its the first "non distructable" toys I have ever bought them that they actually LIKE lol.

Kong was the biggest waste of my money ever, expensive and not a one of my dogs likes it lol

Best toy? Ha! BALLS. Tennis, rubber, BALLS. Period. (until they're being confiscated by the mean humans, exasperated by the constant fetch and constant pushing of balls under the couch so that the humans will take them out).

And Foo, I perfectly sympathize with you regarding the the sock eating monster you have living with you! Mine does it on purpose. To pi** us off and make him chase him. Every night. Few times a night. He would sudenly disappear and then come trotting proudly with a sock (or shoe) in his mouth, and show it to us, then run in the bedroom and jump on the bed, anticipating the chase.

As I'm getting tired of this game, I decided to ignore him each time he brings a sock or a shoe. I cracked up laughing last night when I saw his disapointed face. He tried again, and came closer to us, showed us the sock and ran to the bedroom. Seeing that no one is chasing him, he returned, and nudged us with the sock, wondering how come we suddently lost our sight and can't see what a BAD thing he's done. Ignore treatment continued, until he spit out the sock and came with a worried look on his face to check if we are still alive :rolleyes::D:D

Bula's favorite toy is a rubber bone that has a 12" fleece thing tied to it. She holds the bone in her mouth and has the cats follow her around the house chasing the fleece part!! Unfortunatley she just broke it and i'll have to fix something new because she tries to get the cats to follow her with the now 5inch piece and it doesn't work.

she is finally playing with a squekey ball! we play ball. she is my first dog that has every brought a ball back to have me throw again. its so much fun!! sorry about my spelling tonight!

Rune loves the 'I-cube'...its like a fabric cude with holes in ot, and stuffed balls that go inside it. She LOVES de-stuffing toys, and so this is like a toy that can be de-stuffed again and again...

Booda recently came out with a great frsbee...it floats, its rubbery, and its usually $3 at Big Lots. :rolleyes:

Kogs are great, I haven't tried the everlasting treat balls yet, but I hear nothing but good news about them...

The Kong frisbee is great because it's flexable, chewable, and tough. He hasn't put a tooth threw it yet. Not that no dog couldn't though.

NOTHING beats the ball though!

Thanks guys! Lots of stuff to check out. I think we need a trip to PetsMart.

Jacko also loves a good ol' tennis ball, but he's also a weenie and hates the wet and cold, which is what we've had so much of the past couple of months. So it's been all kinds of indoor play instead. Although, the sun came out about a week ago, and the snow is all gone, and yesterday I noticed that he's unearthed all the balls in the backyard (yes, he apparently buried all the balls we thought he lost) so I think he's telling us it's time to play ball again!

oh, and yes, that is the egg ball! Thanks for finding it, I totally need to order one. I think J would love it. The collies that I saw play with it absolutely adored it and played for hours, according to the owner.

Ris has one of those Old Navy frisbees like the one Ouzo has. It's the only one we have that wasn't destroyed within 2 or 3 play sessions. Unfortunately, it's a bit deformed now and full of teeth marks. Still flies okay. . .well, for most of the flight anyway. :rolleyes: I just bought her a Kong one. I think it might hold up better than the Old Navy one.