BC Boards

I got a question

KelliePup

This one has been bugging me, especially since it seems to be slowly coming back.

When Kellie was in vet ICU, they drained a green mucus-like infection from her lungs daily. Symptoms of this infection included fatigue, disinterest in the world, and uncontrollible wet hacking. I initially thought it was Kennel Cough, but my research says Kennel cough is dry hacking.

So my question is, what could it be, and is there any chance Kellie's immune system is developed enough to combat it with the assistance of anti-bacterial meds, and/or vitamins?

Kelliepup,

I don't want to scare you, but have you read the information on the new canine flu? We've been seeing possible cases in this area now and symptoms are similiar to what you describe. The stuff about your dog starting to recover and then the symptoms recurring especially bothers me.

The other thing is that in my experience KC can just keep coming back - or rather the opportunistic bugs.

I'd keep in REAL close contact with your vet at this point. Even if it's simply bordatella I don't believe in messing around with that either.

Thanks Rebecca. Kellie has had some discharge, and she seems a little better since I gave her an antibiotic, but we're still working on it.

I need to clarify that Kellie was about 5 weeks old when she was in vet ICU, and now she's almost 19 months.

It broke my heart today though when she had trouble breathing after just 10 min of play at the park. She was really laboring. I could tell she wanted to play more, but I made her walk around for a bit to cool off and catch her breath. Then she saw the ducks and geese and it was all over. How is it that she acts the abused little pup every time I give her a bath, but the moment she sees those birds she's swimming out to meet them? :rolleyes:

Crazy dog.

Her check-up is due next week, so we'll see.