BC Boards

My 8 week old puppy will not EAT!!!!

MichiganBC

I just got a puppy about a week ago. She was given to my friend but could not be taken care of so I took her. She had never had any shots or anything like that, so I took her to the vet, got her shots and de-wormer since she did have worms. That was saturday, its not monday night and she still hasnt eaten anything, all she does is sleep she doesnt even want to play or run around anymore. any suggestions? if she doesnt improve by tomorow I'm taking her to the vet.

Do you mean that she hasn`t eaten since the shots on Saturday? Vaccines can be pretty tough, and to have worming at the same time can be a tough one for the pup. Has she had water? That is critical right now. What treats do you have - like bits of meat, hotdogs, etc? Have you tried them? Have you taken the temperature? This would be very helpful even when you call the vet - to let them know what has been happening. Sounds pretty serious.

She has been drinking water. I've tried giving her treats, pieces of meat, pieces of hot dog just to try and get her to eat something. she nibbled at the lunch meat for a second and then just licked it and went back to lay down. temp is 101.6 which I think is normal. Do you think I should take her to the vet or does it seem normal for this type of thing after shots and de-wormer for a pup?

48 hours without food for a puppy isn't really great. Try getting some chicken broth in her and maybe some nutrical in the morning. If she isn't feeling better by morning, I'd call the vet for sure. Is it possible that she got into something she shouldn't have, even before you got her? I'm just saying because I picked up an older BC pup once that had a couple of rubber (jax) balls in his gut from the small child he lived with before me. Better to be safe than sorry- it takes a bit but they can go downhill fast at 8 weeks.

My friend got her at a tow truck place here in kalamazoo, apparently the little girl that was there couldnt keep her because of her parents or something like that. The good news is she's eating now, I had to put some juice from some tuna on her food but she loved it, she even eating treats now and drinking plenty of water. She seems to be feeling better. The problem now is that she seems constipated. everytime she tries to go she starts whining and just walks away. any ways to help ease this?

Wow, for a moment, that sounded like Kellie's first week with me, but she had runs along with everything else. Are you sure she's constipated? Kel would whine cuz she was incontinant and it hurt. I took her to the vet and that's when I found out she had round worms (the shelter said they had dewormed her) and really bad kennel cough that would have killed her. (BTW MichiganBC, Kel was only 1 mo old when I got her. She and her littermates were dumped at the shelter by her mom's owner).

well the vet gave her a de-wormer on saturday and it seemed to work but now she's whining again all the time like she did before the de-wormer, the vet told me not to use the over the counter stuff because its toxic? Anyone here use the stuff you can buy at the pet store? and do you think its a good idea to give her de-wormer even though the vet already did

I've never had adverse side affects, but perhaps others have? Or know something I don't (a very real possiblity concerning several things :D ).

Almost forgot, MichiganBC, check your private messages in top left cornor of main page :rolleyes:

I would certainly try deworming her again. I haven't used the OTC stuff, but usually vets will give you something without you having to take the pup in again if cost is an issue (especially since they just saw her a week ago). It is possible for pups to reinfect themselves with worms if they're walking around in their stool. Why not just *call* the vet and ask for advice? The longer you delay in treating her, the more problems you will cause for her.

J.

I would take her back to the vet for a "look-see" and maybe bloodwork. She's too young (and may be debilitated from the roundworms) to risk letting it go. Being lethargic and crying is not normal. Almost all puppies have round worms. They can get them from their mom or mom's milk. Most breeders de-worm their pups before they go to their new homes with the OTC stuff called Nemex or a generic form of the same thing. I've never heard of a normal dose being toxic to anything but the worms. Adult dogs have resistance to roundworms, and are not usually affected. Not to scare you, but if pups have a large load of roundworms that have never been treated, they can become impacted (constipated) by all the dead ones needing to pass once they are treated and the worms die off. Also, treating roundworms in a young puppy is an ongoing thing, they can reinfest, or the worms are at different stages of development in the dog, and are not all killed off in one de-worming. Another possibility is that the gut lining has been temporarily damaged by the worms, and this is causing her distress. Get it checked - and hopefully you'll have some answers and a happy pup again. Here's a link to more info on roundworms. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...ne%2croundworms