BC Boards

my puppy is eating grass

memerelorraine

Generally, I see this as a dog seeking a way to soothe an aching tummy. If you have just gotten her and her food and routine is changed then just give it some time (2 weeks or so), she will adjust and stop eating grass on her own- provided you are giving her a good quality food. In the meantime, do not spray the grass with fertilizers or pesticides.

This topic caught my eye - the Border Collie I grew up with would appeared to only eat grass prior to vomitting. It was as if her tummy was feeling icky and she was consuming the grass to help make her vomit and get it over with. I have seen this behavior with other dogs.

My Celt eats grass all the time - he particularly likes it when it's wet and dewy. Sometimes it seems like he is licking the dew off for a little "drink" and proceeds to eat a bit, but other times he just plain eats it outright. And it's not accompanied with digestive upsets or feeling icky.

He's the only one of my dogs that does this.

Hi Sue,

She never get sick after eating grass is what is confusing me, she just plains eats it and seems to enjoy it. She looks up at you and seems to be saying *ha ha I am doing it try and stop me*. I am hoping she will get over it. She will still eat like you have not fed her in days! She has yet to get sick over it so I suppose I should not worry so much.

Again thank you for your input... Frustrated mom of Belle (but she sure know how to head for my other dogs food as well!)

Check the archives and you'll feel better. Some dogs just like grass. Fergie grazes so much we often respond to questions of her breed with "Holstein". She's almost 10 and has done this all her life, with no ill effect.

She eats tiny pebbles when her tummy is upset. We consider that doggie Metamucil.

What is the problem with her eating grass? Is is causing you a problem? If she is healthy and her stools are fine, I'd just say to ignore it.

People are sometimes amazed at what animals eat that just doesn't seem "right". Your pup may just enjoy the grass or may be finding nutrients or fiber that are necessary in her diet.

As for changing food, most folks I know will only feed a puppy food until three months of age at the latest (some never feed puppy food). There are quite a number of threads on this board concerning feeding - use the search function on the top of the page to check them out.

Not all foods are the same - some are pretty junky, some are pretty "trendy", and some are just fine. There are also alternatives to feeding commercial dog foods - like the various raw food diets.

Now, for Nancy's dog eating tiny pebbles - I would be concerned about her swallowing something that could cause a blockage but (maybe) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Like Sue, I wouldn't be all that concerned. I have four dogs, and they all graze at one point or another. Rarely do they ever throw up, and rarely do they seem to have upset tummies - I think they just like the taste of grass. So, if its not causing problems, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I'd worry if Ferg ate large pebbles. She is very careful to select the ones that are no bigger than the grains of PerDiem. Drives some neighbors crazy. But we've had no problem in 10 years. It's actually kind of funny to watch her nose gravel around to find the tiniest pebbles.

Of course, eating grass can cause unexpected problems. My tracking training partner's GSD failed a tracking test on Saturday because the new spring pasture growth obviously tasted so nice - he started grazing after about 100 yards, and was so busy eating his way down the paddock he missed the first turn!

If it helps, I have a "Holstein" (love that Nancy) Border Collie as well - he just likes to eat grass, it seems.

Thank you everyone for your time and input. Belle is still grazing away but not as much. Seems she wasn't happy with her puppy food. After two painfull bowel movements I decided it was time to give her some help. We modified her diet and she is doing well. She still likes the taste of grass but not as much. For now I will let her eat what she feels she needs and not worry. (at least her full time obsession with it has stopped)

Barb your storry blew me away! Now I will have nightmare of Belle possibly doing something like that one day *yikes*

Lorraine & Belle

Tiga stopped eating grass for the most part when we changed his food, but he was throwing up when he did it. Now he only likes grass that's already been mowed and he doesn't get sick from it. I used to try to stop him, but it's so pointless, he loves it and is doing well otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a one year old female Border Collie, Sasha and I have seen her often stop and nibble at the grass at the edge of the garden. She is in excellent health and has a normal appitite and has never thrown up after eating grass. I suppose, like others have said, she just likes the taste. I wouldn't be overly concerned about this. It seems to be bothering you much more than it is your doggie!

My two will actively seek out the tasty grass on walks or in the yard. They LOVE it. I call them my "weed-eaters." :rolleyes:

Both my dogs have grazed since day one. And only on one particular kind of grass/weed. If there is a good, fresh patch of it around they'll run a grab a mouthful and chew down in total bliss.

No problems with stools, vomiting or anything else...so I don't worry about it. Everyone can go on about how it's a sign of this or that and only you will know if that's the case. For us, it's a sign of something they think is yummy.

Denise