BC Boards

Increasing fat levels?

Rave

I give mine a tablespoon of safflower oil with their food every morning. I don't measure exactly, just use a large tablespoon--the bigger of whatever you have in your set for dining, but not a serving spoon--and dump oil in it while holding it over the bowl. Not scientific and not precise. I also supplement with flax oil capsules (not a significant amount of fat, I wouldn't think) and add other higher fat stuff in on a fairly regular basis (high-fat cottage cheese, regular yogurt, canned fish and its associated oils, etc.).

Someone out there has probably got information on exact amounts, but I find that my way works fine for me.

J.

I've heard lots of working folks do just that, a litle dollop of some type of vegetable oil on the food.

Sunflower oil is a little pricier but the dogs go ga-ga over it and I feel like it's a little easier for most to digest.

Do be careful to raise the fat level gradually. The pancreas needs time to adjust lipase levels or you will risk pancreatitis (I accidentally did this to Rick back in my all-kibble days).

Canned mackerel is cheap and highly palatable. Fish body oils have a good balance of omegas and dogs tend to like them too. I give the Border Collies two 1000 mg caps per day. If you supplement with fish oil (body oils, not liver oils) then you should supposedly also give vitamin E at least some days.

Is this something to consider when you have a skinny pup...as I do with Tess. I really have to watch Keegan's weight and cut back during times when I think he has a couple pounds to lose...never more than 2-3 pounds really. However, Tess is skinny minnie!!!! She often doesn't eat either...usually breakfast more than dinner. So maybe a tablespoon of some sort of oil over her kibble would make her enjoy it more as well.

When I say skinny...you can easily feel ribs, spine, tailbone...but you can't visibly see the bones...just easily felt.

Originally posted by rtphokie:

you can easily feel ribs, spine, tailbone...but you can't visibly see the bones...just easily felt.

Sounds perfect!

Thanks for the fat tips!

-L

Yep! Had Kat to Dr. Betts today to check her hips. He was joking that she was an Arnold Schwarzenneger type because she has such big thigh muscles that it's hard to get her back legs facing parallel without squishing muscle. And all that at about 35 pounds. You can easily feel her ribs, hips, etc., but she's quite healthy. But she sure looks like frog legs on her X-ray. And her hips are fine. :rolleyes:

J.