BC Boards

Anal Gland issues, need some advice

Guest JoeysMom

Guest JoeysMom

We had Joey's anal glands expressed last Thursday, they were pretty full. The Vet explained that depending on the frequency of needing to express her glands, I could learn to do it myself, have her do it, or consider anal gland removal. Today is Wednesday (it hasn't even been a week) and I can already smell the secretion. Is this normal? She isn't scooting, she does occasionally bite at the lower base of her tail. She was laying at my feet while I was on the computer and I could smell it...there was no wetness, but a definite stench. This problem first became noticeable about 2-3 weeks ago. I have no knowledge in this area, and am wondering if anyone else has experience with this. Thanks for your help.

My old BC mix had to have her anal glands operated on every two years after she turned six years old. They got so bad that she couldn't poop, so the vet had to puncture them and drain them and clean them out. It hard to remember everything because it happened over thirty years ago and I'm sure things have changed.

Dublin has had to have his expressed a few times. It only takes a second and it would be fairly easy to do it yourself. I changed Dublin's diet and that seems to have helped a lot. I haven't had to have it done in months, whereas before it was every 3-4 weeks.

I added some canned pumpkin to his food and that firmed up his stool, allowing the anal glands to empty regularly when he pooped. This helped a bit. Since then I have switched to a raw diet which really firmed up his stools and haven't had any problems with anal glands since.