BC Boards

My raw fed dogs' smell like rancid meat

the only time tikki smelt like that is when he got a 'wodge'(is that a real word?) of sinewy stuff caught between a couple of teeth. it didnt just smell like rancid meat, it WAS rancid meat. ICK! have a quick look in there first.

it still could be their stomachs getting used to it. you could try a digestive enzyme if this is the case, but get one aimed at meats/protien, not the commonly found grain/cellulose type enzyme.

i cant remember if you already have, but can you post a detailed diet plan that you are currently feeding? it might throw up a few clues!

love

donna

Thanks Donna,

They get 2 lbs of either chicken (1/2 of a whole one), a slab of beef ribs, pork necks, or pork hock every other day. I have 2 hard keepers and one very easy keeper so the easy keeper gets about 1 1/4 lbs every 2 days. They do get some meatier cuts inbetween but these meats are the most readily available. There isn't anything in their teeth :rolleyes:

Ironhorse, were you serious? I'd try that! -well just about anything but last I heard garlic was just as bad for dogs........?

I'd LOOOOOVE garlic breath over this. Smells like I have road kill in my house some where.

hmmmmm, tricky one then!

how long have you been feeding raw? i know you have said but i cant remember! i think they will settle down in a week or 2, hope you can hold out that long.

i'm guessing it is just tummies getting used to working properly again. one thought though, strange as it may seem, try feeding some green tripe. i have heard of people using it in place of digestive enzymes to good effect. you might also try just one protein source for a week or 2, then slowly add in others. (sorry if you have already done this, it gets a bit tricky trying to remember!)

love

donna

so Annette - do your dogs only eat every other day - or do they get something else on the "odd days"? If they are "gorging every other day", maybe their breath is from "belching" gases that accumulate from overfilled stomachs. If they are getting a grain product on the odd days, may their digestive systems are "confused", hence the stench. Years ago I had a foxhound who loved to scavenge for "deer parts and entrails" left by hunters in the nearby woods. She would come home engorged - looking like she was ready to whelp a litter of 12 (and she was spayed). I know what you mean by it smelling like something died.... :eek: If they are eating in a gorge/fast cycle, I'd try giving daily smaller portions instead.

Annette;

Yes I was serious about the garlic.

if you choose to use it i would suggest you mince it first and then comes the hard part,,getting them to chew and swallow it.

much the same as giving a large pill just try not to hold their muzzle so tight that they can't at least give it a chew or two before swallowing.

some dogs will take to it and actually seem to enjoy eating it,others of course will be like getting a 5 year old to eat their spinach.

and I dare anyone to claim that a couple cloves of garlic is harmful to a canine.

I've been feeding whole prey now for almost 6 weeks. I've fed another form or raw before where they got daily portions and that went fine. I fast them on the odd day and no grains or carbs of any kind are fed.

Ironhorse they will eat the garlic if I lightly sautee it in a drop of olive oil for sure! I love garlic myself and believe it has lots of good uses for the body.

I'll let everybody know what happens. I'll start with daily portions for a week and then give the garlic.

Originally posted by Annette & the Borderbratz:

I'll let everybody know what happens. I'll start with daily portions for a week and then give the garlic.

Cool - let us know. My dogs are fed at random times, and miss a meal every so often, but I don't routinely fast them (unless they have had an "extra large meal" the day before. I can't stand "the look" :rolleyes: in their eyes, and I feel like they perform/work better with a little something recently in their stomaches.

Large amounts of garlic will produce toxicity problems in both dogs and cats.

key word here is of course "Large"

Large amounts of dam near anything will have the same effect.

a small amount of common sense and logic is the same way one should use garlic to their dogs,a small amount from time to time.

All of my dogs since i was a kid have eaten small amounts of garlic on a regular basis and barring a few that were killed due to accidents of one form or another they have all lived well beyond what is considered the norm for their breeds. I believe a clove or 2 of garlic here and there have aided in their longivity. If someone were to show me undeniable proof that a clove of galic a day would add just one good day of life to the dog then i guarantee that dog would get the clove of garlic.

To much nitro gycerine will kill ya or blow you up but in the right amount it will save you life just as easy.

all things in moderation I guess and in the end bottomline do what you think is right for you.

Information is only as good as its results.

Guest herbertholmes

Denise

I am interested in the fact that garlic is listed as toxic to dogs. I have never heard that before. Can you point me to some reading material? And thanks,

Alison

Originally posted by IronHorse:

To much nitro gycerine will kill ya or blow you up but in the right amount it will save you life just as easy.

Interesting comparison.... :rolleyes:

Like you said, everything in moderation. Good words for humans to live by, too. My girl has been getting garlic on and off for the better part of 8 years now. Her breath is fine, her innards seem to be in proper working order, and I have never had a flea problem. I realize that garlic cannot take all the credit for this but I think deserves at least a little.

Funny- I saw that hops was on Annette's link as well. I suppose I will have to start cutting back on Barra's lager intake (sigh) :D

I was crushed when I found this info! I'm half spaniard and we believe that garlic, olive oil, lemon, and yogurt are pretty much all the medicine anyone needs

I still wouldn't hesitate to fry it up in olive oil and give a few finely minced pieces to my kids every so often.

When I was a kid I had a pet first aid book that gave a recipe for dogs with sick stomachs. It was a ground beef and onion mixture, believe it or not. I was 10 when I got that book, that was 25 years ago.

Corey- no beer or ale for Barra! Don't you know BCs should never drink & drive! ahem...or fetch :rolleyes:

Oh go figure- Potato was on that list of toxic foods too!

Some interesting information guys,Thanks for sharing it.

But I am a skeptic when it comes to just taking it for gospel when information is given out like this with alot of "cans" and "coulds" and "unknown toxins" are used to make such statements. Now of course alot of these items that are listed just by common sense would indicate it not be a good idea to feed to your dogs. What I am not seeing is the research that they base this list on.and the way i interperate the language,, these sources are suggesting that the amount of garlic a dog would have to eat for it to cause a problem is akin to one of us eating 4 or 5 pounds of raw garlic in a single day,,,,common sense just a clove of common sense.

I have little doubt that I would "Sicker then a Dog" if not worse if I sat and ate a couple hundred heads of garlic.

My suggestion of a single clove or two every couple days or once a week is based on feeding dogs since I was a pup now and thats 40 plus years. My dogs have always been in the best of health and I attribute small amounts of garlic occasionally as a contribution to this.

There are other things that I feed to my dogs that i am sure many would not agree with.

For sake of conversation and discussion heres one that might spark some interest

I give my dogs a certain amount of emu oil( I won't say how much yet) in their diet.

Anybody do this or ever hear of it?

I know we have some Ozzies here and would like to hear from them. and anybody else of course.

like so many things there is tons of information about emu's and the products derived from them on the net.Alot of in depth research, results and thoughts. I've had conciderable hands on experience with these ratites and the products from them. and btw Annette,their meat is delicious and extremely healthy, low-cholesterol red meat and talk about an omelette,heh crack open one of their super low in cholesterol eggs and invite a few friends over to brunch.

heres a good site to start from as far as basic info http://www.tn-emu.org/totally_usable_bird.htm

I use only 100% pure AEA Certified emu oil.

alot of products out there that have very little quality emu oil and alot of undesirable ingredients.

Originally posted by Annette & the Borderbratz:

Oh go figure- Potato was on that list of toxic foods too!

Okay...makes you wonder about either the validity of the report or the anxiety level of the reporters, because aren't the so-called 'hypoallergenic' diets basically fish or duck and potato? Or are the makers of these diets mistaken?

And Annette- no drinking and "driving," huh? I will have to break it to Barra gently...and make sure she gives me back her keys....

All I know about emu oil is that if my dogs find the container, they will eat the whole darned thing.

I have gotten two bottles from sitstay.com and Oreo and Lucky have found them, chewed the lids off and consumed all 2 fl. oz in one session.

My third bottle came today. I think I'll buy a child proof medicine vault to put it in. :rolleyes: