BC Boards

Feeding and supplements for puppy

CollieKat

Kes is 15 weeks old and she is growing like wildfire, to the extent where her hip is clicking from her body weight as one bone is evidently growing faster than another! I feed her Royal canin medium junior (best I can get here in the UK, so please all you hard core premium feeders don't preach at me!), and she was getting 3 meals a day but now i have reduced her to 2 meals a day with a carrot/banana/frozen yoghurt kong for lunch in addition to treats during the day for training. I am not sure if the food is perhaps providing her with too many kcals and if i perhaps should change it?. What sort of nutrient analysis should i be looking for a very active fast growing BC puppy?

I am also planning to get cortaflex to protect her cartilage and bone, but if there are any other supplements that can be recommended it would be appreciated.

Raw feeding is not an option right now but i may try to do it towards the end of the summer.

Thanks in advance

Kat

Is there an adult version of what you're currently feeding? If so, I'd switch your pup over right away. It may not be the food, some lines are just fast growers. I had a vet friend recently breed an Aussie litter who grew VERY fast, much to the vet's dismay. All the pups turned out OK thankfully.

-Laura

Lots of people feed Royal Canin here with good results. I'd switch her to an adult maintenance formula if you can get it- otherwise you might have to restrict her consumption. The general idea is to make sure the pup gets lots of uninhibited play (only in as much as the pup will push itself-like chasing and wrestling with another puppy)and limited calories- kept fairly thin during the growing process for proper growth and strong bones and joints. You may want to check the research done on joint suppliments in puppies and weigh if you should indeed suppliment and with what and how much.

Royal Canin do an adult and an energy formula for medium dogs and I tried to copy and paste the table from their website for the analysis comparison but it didn't come out right.

If you go to Royal Canin medium Then go to average analysis at the top of the page there is a table there and I would really love your input on it. I just want to give her whats best but i will freely admit that nutrition is not one of my speciality areas of knowledge.

For the supplement I'm going to start her on cortaflex. It seems to be better than just glucosamine and chondroiton.