BC Boards

Benefits of Raw?

KMK

All of you raw feeders, could you tell me what made you decide to switch to raw? Can you feed some raw & some kibble? I am considering the switch to raw, but our vet is not very pro -raw. What health benefits did you notice from switching to raw? Any input/tips you could give me would be great. Our vet mentioned the risk of salimonella from raw. What have your experiences been? Do any of you have a vet who encourages raw?

http://www.homestead.com/vonhapsburg/petfood.html

http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Start with this I guess. It certainly covers why you shouldn't feed kibble at all and some reasons why raw feeders prefer raw. If you consider that periodontal disease is a leading cause to organ failure and premature aging in humans and dogs. Then the fact that your dogs NEVER have tartar or plaque (not even for a day) on their teeth is reason alone. Many vets are not keen on Raw because of a few reasons, the first being that the nutritional study they get comes from big dog food companies, who of course push their gibberish on nutrition.

Zoologists carefully determine what canids eat in Zoos based on what they eat normally in the wild. Dogs bodies work exactly the same way that wild canids do-so why should they be fed differently?

If the animal scientists thought that kibble was good for their wolves then they'd feed it or they'd formulate their own version. They feed their animals based on whole prey because it is what is best and their only interest is to keep their charges healthy mentally and physically- they don't have a dime to make off it.

Some vets do encourage feeding raw and they generally assert that healthy canids have the biological ability to deal with salmonella without incident. It is we who must observe safe food handling so we don't get sick-we handle our own food anyway so that's a given.

Good luck with your research,

I put Boy on raw because he has a long list of allergies, including corn, rice, grains, etc. I thought raw was weird but didn't have much of a choice.

He had no undercoat when I got him but now he does, and I love to touch him and pet him. His coat is so soft and shiny!

His teeth are sparkling white.

He went from chronic ear infections to one mild one recently that was quickly taken care of.

He LOVES his meals.

His poops are so small, like cat poop, and after a day in the sun you can crumble them into the ground with your foot instead of picking them up.

It's my understanding that a dog's digestive system is different than ours and better able to handle germs and bacteria and such. That's why they can bury something then eat it a day or two later when it's rotten and feel fine.

There are different ways of feeding a raw diet. I feed my two based on the whole prey model. Go here and you'll find a wealth of information. Other people here can provide links to the type of raw diet they feed. Just choose which you feel is better because we all agree that any raw diet will be more healthy than kibble.

I have question about humans getting salmonella from their dog after eating raw...

How do you know if you can't get salmonella from your dog? I ask, as I don't know a safe way to insure "quality control". I know some people feed outside in a special area and hose down afterward, some feed in crates, I have a friend that puts a large plastic tarp in the laundry room and rolls it up afterwords.

My question, my dogs are on the beds, furniture and are very affectionate and give kisses. What about the raw meat on their feet, mouth etc,can they transport any bacteria to me or my family?

Years ago a family member had a bout with salmonella, it was horrible experience. Maybe I'm overly cautious? I'm not afraid of my dogs getting salmonella, although my vet said it happens occasionally.

What do you do?

[ I've checked on some of the websites and haven't come across this question.]

I just dont allow my guys to lick me imedeitly after eating, and thats it, my dogs have never made anyone sick before lol

the benifits I have seen, well with Shadow, it totally changed, she had been aging prematurly, and the vet figered she would not live to be 5, her arthritus was so bad she could not stand up, her coat was dull, her teeth her gross... I think that fact that she is now 9 years old, has not a hint of arthritus, sparkling white teeth and keeps up with her young golden retvr. brother speaks for itself. Ripley was fat a lazy when we adopted him, 2 days after the switch to raw, he was all of a sudden thin, energetic, muscular and extremly agile, he keeps up with the border collies, and sometimes even outlasts them! Happy could not eat any sort of grais as a pup, she had so many health problems that I was mixing tons of supplements from the vet into her food every day, switch to raw and every last health problem vannished right way, when she went in for titres, her immunity was beyond exellent, she had been so weak and she is now unbelivably strong. when kennel cough goes around, my dogs never get it for long, Happy never gets it at all, Misty might cough twice, and the others will get it for like 24 hours then its gone.

Do you feed raw outside? I know Miztiki feed them in the yard... Do you just shut the pet door so that they can't bring the raw food inside? I guess dogs don't care how dirty their food get but it would take me some time to adjust.

Miz, did Boy have nice teeth when you got him or the tartar disappeard after you started feeding him raw? I noticed his fur - really soft.

Boy's teeth were in darn good shape when I got him with just a small amount of build up. Fynne's were covered in plaque/tarter and her breath reeked but the plaque/tarter is scraped off now and her breath has improved alot. Her skin is so much better and her coat is coming in nicely too.

I guess I should educate myself on the risks of salmonella.

Originally posted by Peg:

I have question about humans getting salmonella from their dog after eating raw...

How do you know if you can't get salmonella from your dog?

There are no guarantees of course. But there's no more likelihood of it than there would be of getting germs from kibblefed dogs. Salmonella's all over kibble. We just don't hear all that much about it because kibble is "normal" and raw food is "not."

If you use common sense, you ought not be at any greater risk from a rawfed dog than from a kibble-eater. FWIW, at no time when my dogs were fed kibble and at no time now do I engage in extreme cleaning. I clean kitchen surfaces with a combo of vinegar and water; I wash the floor when I absolutely have to; I feed outside or in the mudroom or on a square of vinyl tablecloth when I am entertaining doggie guests...and no human has gotten ill from my lack of "quality control."

My dogs give kisses and I give kisses back. You have to remember that, regardless of what dogs eat, they STILL lick their butts, lick the butts of other dogs, eat bugs and dead things and root around in the dirt and lick their feet after walking on WHATEVER surfaces... and we are living to tell about it.

Common sense is a great guideline.

Chris O