BC Boards

cateracs

badgeandme

That is awful. Why is he too old? I didn't realize cateracs surgery was so hard on them...?

I know this isn't the best news, but at least dogs seem to adjust to being vision impaired much, much easier than humans do.

(((hugs)))

Hi, Elsie. I believe your vet was saying that the cataracts will probably grow very slowly. By the time they are bad enough for surgery, she would expect your dog to be too old for the surgery. In other words, she thinks your dog is not likely to need the surgery for a long time, if ever.

I'm just guessing, of course, but I've heard similar statements about cataracts in both dogs and humans.

Cataracts are tricky things. They might get worse, they might not. If they get worse, it will probably happen slowly, but maybe not.

And if you really want the cataracts removed, who's to say you can't have the surgery for your dog?

Cataract surgery isn't done on dogs (or people) until they thicken enough--I think to make it easier to remove them.

Cataracts impair vision some, slowly making it slightly fuzzier, according to my MIL (who had the surgery a year ago at age 70). But she was still driving up to the time when she was able to have them removed, so I don't think the vision impairment is too severe as they slowly grow.

Our old dogs had cataracts, one more than the other, but we didn't do anything about them and they got around just fine. One died at 13.5 and the other at 14; my previous dog had cataracts and was still getting around OK, as far as her vision, until she died at 15. Many old dogs start showing signs of cataracts around 10-12 years old and they rarely impact quality of life.

What is your concern about them? Perhaps you need to learn more about cataracts and their impacts before you get too concerned.

Deanna in OR

thank you all so much, after reading your replys I feel much better about it. If they grow so slowly then I am sure he will adapt really well, maybe I was just worrying too much but now I know, so I will just give him extra cuddles. Thanks again

Elsie and Badger

I woke up itching and can't sleep, so thought I'd chime in.

My old Mickey had cataracts too, and she lived to be 14 1/2. They didn't really seem to affect her until the last several months of her life. The others are right and you shouldn't worry too much at all.