BC Boards

Hearing loss in Dhu

Joan

Originally posted by Sue & Ed:

Sorry about Dhu. I would rather know what causes a problem than not know, but I am sure this has been hard on you both. Congrats at doing better together. There are more things in life for you and her than trialling, but I know it will be a disappointment if you can't do that with her.

But when you're standing at the post, nothing else matters, right? :rolleyes: You're right about the disappointment, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I hope you can have your dog tested soon. Please let us know. And thanks again for being supportive.

Originally posted by Shoofly:

I wonder how many "hard headed" dogs there are out there that have a similar hearing loss....

Robin, I e-mailed the woman in CA that now owns Zoie. I briefly explained Dr. Chu's research, stated that I have a son of Zoie and asked if she would please consider getting her BAER tested. I'll let you know if/when I get a reply.

Originally posted by Valhalla:

Does a dog need to be BAER tested prior to getting the DNA sample kit and survey?

Hi, Christine. According to Dr. Chu's survey, a BAER test is not required.

Contact me privately if you want more information from the survey.

Originally posted by Joan:

But when you're standing at the post, nothing else matters, right? :rolleyes: You're right about the disappointment, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I have only stood at the post a very few times and I must admit that trialling my dog is not much of a goal for me. My dogs are farm dogs - that's my "justification" for having them. That and (even more so) their companionship are what matters to me.

I enjoy (?) running Celt in Novice when I am otherwise at a trial as a spectator/volunteer (which is my main reason to be there). That allows me to temper (or destroy) my visions of the perfect run we could do on those sheep, that day, and that field, with the reality of what we are able to do (or not do) on those sheep, that day, and that field.

I admire and often envy you folks who put the time, effort, money, etc., into developing yourselves and your dogs to be Open handler/dog teams. You have must utmost respect.

I can understand your disappointment concerning Dhu, Joan. I feel for you. You have had some real setbacks this year, with Pete's cancer and now this. I hope that, however it turns out, you and Dhu will be happy and content together, and that Pete lives out his days in love and comfort.

Hi all,

Swamped at work so haven't been checking the Boards, but of course this is a topic of great interest to me. Glen -- his Royal Deafness -- is now leading a very happy in my lap (surprise, surprise) and also seems to be relieved not to be asked to do things he doesn't understand (i.e., hear) out on sheep.

I'll check in again, but will be more than happy to help with any of these initiatives re Chu's research -- like at Sam's trial, etc.

I have a huge grant going out in a few days. Talk to you all after that.

Pat