BC Boards

Hearing loss in Dhu

Joan

As some of you know, I've had ongoing training problems with Dhu. I recently had an opportunity to work with her breeder/trainer, and he suspected hearing loss. Dhu had a BAER test a few days later, and the results show profound hearing loss in both ears.

If your dog is doing strange things that you can't explain, if you've ever had the thought that maybe your dog isn't hearing you, please have the dog tested. The BAER test is not expensive.

And if your dog has a BAER test, or if you know you have a dog with hearing problems, please contact Dr. Teresa Chu so she can get data and a DNA sample from your dog. We NEED the study she is working on. She'll send you a questionnaire and a DNA swab. She is also starting to show up at some trials and clinics. Take advantage of it.

teresachu27@hotmail.com

Karen Lacy's working on setting up a testing with Dr. Chu at her clinic/trial in Sept. (10/11?)The clinic is more of a health thing with CERF testing, microchipping, tatooing, etc. Check out their website, www.lacysbordercollies.com for more information; this will be in Central VA, New Kent County at their farm.

OT_ Joan, thank you for the sweet card...one to you in the mail. Luke came back in the mail ysterday with a little sheep sculpture from Eleanor Peavy (SWEET PEOPLE!), and he's in the truck now, riding in the front seat. I'm nuts. Your kidness, and the entire BC community's as well makes this so much more bearable. I'm proud to be part of such a wonderful group of compassionate people. Hugs...

Originally posted by Debbie Crowder:

OT_ Joan, thank you for the sweet card...one to you in the mail. Luke came back in the mail ysterday with a little sheep sculpture from Eleanor Peavy (SWEET PEOPLE!), and he's in the truck now, riding in the front seat. I'm nuts. Your kidness, and the entire BC community's as well makes this so much more bearable. I'm proud to be part of such a wonderful group of compassionate people. Hugs...

Then I'm nuts, too, Debbie! When Rip "comes back," he'll be riding around with me, too. I miss the days he was in the front seat with me (with a doggie seatbelt).

Thanks for your kind words about Dhu. Karen told me she's working on getting Dr. Chu, and I was very happy to hear it. Teresa should get a lot of data there.

Joan,

Sorry to hear about Dhu. I am happy for you since now you know what is going on with Dhu.

This sentiment is what Dave Fetterman told us while at his trial.

If your dog is doing strange things that you can't explain, if you've ever had the thought that maybe your dog isn't hearing you, please have the dog tested.
I'm happy to see the momentum picking up on Dr. Chu's reaseach idea (it's still an idea) and hopefully she will be able to locate a genetic marker for early onset of adult hearing loss that we can add to our breeding tool box.

Mark

Hi Joan, sorry to hear about Dhu, but it sure does explain her behavior when she didn't listen far away from you!

I hope that others will jump on this research plan so that a DNA marker can be identified for hearing loss. If Karen does get Dr. Chu to come to her clinic, please announce it on these boards and the Sheepdog List. The more people that can participate the better.

Mark and Christine,

Thank you very much. You're right - the first thing I felt was relief at having an explanation for our difficulties. I wanted to run home and e-mail everyone that I knew that it wasn't all me! Then reality set in, that I might not be able to run her anymore, and I crawled into a hole for several days. Now I'm working with Dhu in new ways, with the help of my friend/Joanie-trainer, :rolleyes: and I think we are making progress. It's amazing how much tension has gone out of Dhu, now that I understand her better. Of course, I still don't know if I'll be able to trial with her.

I also wanted to get the word out so that others will think of hearing loss in these situations, and to spread the word about Dr. Chu's work.

You guys should see the difference in Dhu - she's practically giddy with happiness and relief.

It's quite amazing.

We're going to try to have Dr Chu at Sam's trial this fall, if all works out.

Today i'm off having Gael's ears tested. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Joan - Again, thanks for your starting this topic. I have been concerned about one of my dogs, a three-year-old bitch that is normally very responsive and likes to please. She has, in recent months, seemed to "not hear me" or just not respond to some of my commands. I have thought of a lack of ability to deal with the cattle in numbers, although when younger she was very confident. I wonder now if it could be something about her hearing, as she seems to not hear me at other times. When she hears me, she is usually rapid to respond.

I have emailed Dr. Chu for information. Is there anywhere on the boards where planned BAER testing clinics are listed? I know Karen is hoping to do it in September but I wondered if it would be offered at other trials/clinics, and if there would be a place where they would all be listed.

Sorry about Dhu. I would rather know what causes a problem than not know, but I am sure this has been hard on you both. Congrats at doing better together. There are more things in life for you and her than trialling, but I know it will be a disappointment if you can't do that with her.

Sue - i'd encourage you to get your dog tested if you can. It's not an expensive test, not here anyway. It's $50 at the vet's office or $40 at her home. If you do (or anyone else out there too) please contact Dr Chu as well and do the survey and DNA swab for her so she'll have the data for her study.

It's a tough problem to puzzle out yourself because the dogs compensate pretty well and it's just not that obvious in some of them. Dhu's test revealed profound hearing loss but she obviously hears some. We're experimenting with tones and distance and context and all that we can think of to figure out how to deal with the problems.

I wonder how many "hard headed" dogs there are out there that have a similar hearing loss....

Hey - Sam's offline again. Unless there's some reason why we can't work it out, i'm pretty sure we'll get Dr Chu. Joan's checking with her on dates now and then we'll work on the arrangements. And I'll remember you said you'll help. I'm sure we'd need some onsite folks to keep things moving well.

Hi Joan,

So sorry to hear about Dhu. You might want to talk to Dave Fetterman, he's working on a system using a vibrating collar to help his dog Leah relearn commands so they can work at distances. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk with you - let me know if you'd like his phone number or email.

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

Eileen,

could we post in the faq section the contact info for Dr. Chu and a write-up of her study? I cannot offer the contact info, but perhaps someone else on the boards could.

Mark

I have a short description of what's she doing, and her contact information, at home. I got it with a DNA swab and survey that she sent me for Jake. Now she's sending me another one for Dhu.

Thanks, Robin! I did find that site earlier but there is nothing close to me here. However, Ed does sometimes go to Ithaca (leaving today) or Blacksburg (next week, maybe?).

My local vet doesn't do this. I get the impression that it is only done at research facilities or limited numbers of vet facilities?

Hey Sue - I don't really know. The vet we're going to is in dalmations and does clinics and stuff. I expect the equipment might be pretty expensive so it's harder to find someone who does it. Maybe you could combine a trip to see Lisa with a stop in Durham to get Megan seen here?

I just missed it! Ed is going to Cornell this afternoon and coming back Wednesday, his hotel allows dogs, etc. BUT - the vet who does the testing if off until Friday, so I will have to keep my options open for a trip there or to Blacksburg (Ed is going in June, but it's for several days). If I can't arrange something in the near future, I will hope to test at Karen's or Sam's or any other possibility in the meantime.

Thanks, Robin and Laurie. Megan is such a willing dog and showed a lot of promise, but has just seemed to hit a brick wall in her progress. No matter what happens, she'll be with us for life but, if she has a hearing problem, it would be nice to know and be able to work better with her.

Robin - I have Sam's trial, etc., on my schedule. Count me in to help just before, during, or after (just not on Sunday) as I am planning on Scott's proposed clinic, as well.

Eileen,

could we post in the faq section the contact info for Dr. Chu and a write-up of her study? I cannot offer the contact info, but perhaps someone else on the boards could.

Mark

I've had a better idea and have asked Eileen about it. Locked stickies with descriptions and contact info on the Cornell hip evaluations, the CEA DNA test, and Dr. Chu's hearing study.

Mark