BC Boards

anal glands

Caroline

I have asked this question before but thought I would post it again. Luke my younger dog, who doesn't look overstressed (just somewhat stressed) in the car, sometimes expresses his anal glands. He honestly doesn't look freaked out when it happens. Some people in my family complain about this. I don't really want to have them removed as I have heard the surgery can cause nerve damage and incontinence sometimes. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Caroline

You can carry some Nature's Miracle in your car, or Ozium, (you get that a hospital supply store, it's great stuff) and use it when necessary.

As far as the surgery goes, I think that a major medical proceedure, (anesthesia, pain meds, risk of life time side effects) should be only for a major medical problem. If the glands aren't chronically infected or otherwise a health problem, I stick to the deodorizers.

Ruth n the BC3

Here's a kinda weird question...

What does he eat? Sometimes if a dog is having soft stools all the time (from high grain content kibble usually), the anal glands build up. In nature and in raw fed dogs, because of the bone content of their food, the dog has to strain a little to poop and the anal glands are expressed naturally when he goes. In a high fear/anxiety situation, there's still going to be fluid that is expressed, but not as much as dog who doesn't get rid of the buildup naturally. My dogs eat a raw diet, and I almost never smell anal fluid, except in a very occasional high anxiety situation (like if one of my bitchy-bitches asserts her dominance over another one). Another option would be to learn to express the glands yourself on a regular basis (wear gloves for this one) or take him in to the vets to have it done if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

Good info, Laurie! I wanted to add, having a towel or small rug for Luke to sit/lay on in the car so it can be washed when needed. Baby wipes for the fur on his hind end also might be good to keep in the car.

I do my own dogs anal glands from time to time, and prefer to do it outside while I'm bathing them. It is one of the nastier odors in the world and the one time I expressed somebody's glands in the inside bathtub, I nearly gagged in that small confined space. Blech!

Ruth n the BC3

I agree that a medical procedure is not warranted for this issue. I just hear my husband holler about it in the car. I do have deodorizer and the seat Luke sits on has a washable cover. I feel bad for Luke if it is from stress. Baby wipes is a good idea. His diet consists of a premium type dog food, currently it is a mix of several including Canidae, Innova, venison and brown rice natural balance. He doesn't have soft stools, I haven't tried to express them myself on Luke. Years ago my older dog Charlie had some trouble with plugged glands and I expressed them a couple of times. It only happens in the car. I think a raw diet might help, but I have chosen kibble for now. I have two small children and just not the time to keep it balanced for him. This is also the dog that seems to have itching from some foods so perhaps a change in diet to raw would help that too. I just wasn't ready to head that way. Time to think I guess.

Caroline

Thanks!

Hey Caroline, I'm a parent of two small children AND sometime rescuer AND full time farmer. Mealtime - plunk food in seven crates - close doors - listen to happy crunching. I'm doing two meals of which one is prepared but I know others who just feed 100% meat - prey model - no veggies, supplements, or anything (I think that's right).

I continue to feel like the benefits far outweigh the minor inconveniences. When I took Ollie to the vet, he said he felt from how well he was healed that he had been injured two months ago, but it wasn't working out right in terms of time. I knew from previous experiences that what had probably happened what he had just healed so fast, but I just kept my mouth shut and smiled. Ollie's been on a raw grain-free diet since he's been here - just raw meaty bones, organ meat, and tripe (well, I guess the tripe's not quite grain free), and some relevant supplements.

Diet makes a big difference, but you do what you can.

So Annette did you feed only raw meaty bones? or in addition to some kibble.

Becca, I respect your raw food choices, perhaps I can try that. Sometimes it does feel like a bit of a zoo here. The sheep (I hope) get here this summer.

Caroline

I run a business which consumes about 80 hours of every week. I feed 100% meat - chicken, beef, salmon, mackeral, pork - whatever is on sale that week. I am sure I offset my time hunting sales by the loss of time I spent mixing food for 9 dogs...this one gets that with this supplement, and the other gets this food with that supplement and a little oil, etc. I have dropped my cost of feeding dramatically and my dogs have never looked or seemed to feel better. We have been feeding like this for a couple of months and have learned that it is only as complicated as you want to make it.

Fly has overactive anal glands no matter what she is eating except, for some reason I cannot determine, Natural Balance kibble. (I cannot for the life of me figure out what is special about this stuff, but this is the ONLY food -- raw, cooked, kibble, or otherwise -- that Fly has normal poops on.) Some dogs are just like that.

Fly would usually express her glands when she was excited and playing. Fly gets excited a lot. It could be pretty gross.

Your vet can show you how to express anal glands. Be sure to ask if there is a charge for this. I was recently unpleasantly surprised by a $20 additional charge for anal gland expression at one of those Banfield places in Petsmart. It's not where I would usually take a dog, but Fly only needed a heartworm test and I had a coupon.