BC Boards

Change to raw now, or wait?

Miztiki

It looks like we'll get Lucy this Saturday. She's on Kibbles & Bits now and I don't want to keep her on that. Should I switch her to raw right away, or just upgrade the kibble and make the switch after she's settled in a little? Thanks!

p.s. We have to go to a stupid function Monday evening and I will have to have Boyden kenneled until the vet's opens in the morning. :D:rolleyes::D

Didn't you say she had some bald spots on her butt? Kibbles & Bits??? Play it by ear. Put her on raw right away, only a little bit to start with, like chicken wings--see how she does with one, maybe two of those. I'd consider a small bag of better kibble but the main thing is to get her off that toxic crap. Some of the rescues I get, I don't know what they have been on, so I have no choice but to put them on what I feed my own dogs----and occasionally, there is a digestive upset--an adjustment to a better diet, but it's never been anything serious.

Give her well cooked white rice and plain cooked chicken for a few days. Get some slippery elm powder at the health food store and some acicopholus/bifidus capsules, (you'll find the those in the refrigerated section) and some canned plain pumpkin - those are handy to have on hand in case her tummy does react. If you need to, use 1 tsp slippery elm powder mixed into a tbs of water, it will form a thick paste. She might eat it right up, or you can mix it w/the chicken rice. Also give her an acidopholus capsule every day or so, sprinkled on her food. That will help her gut repopulate w/good bacteria.

If she's like Shoshone, you won't have any problems. With all her other quirks, Shonie has an iron stomach, and will tolerate switching food 7 days a week.

If she's like Buzz or Sammi, you'll need the above info!

Ruth n the BC3

Originally posted by Miztiki:

[QB] It looks like we'll get Lucy this Saturday. She's on Kibbles & Bits now and I don't want to keep her on that. Should I switch her to raw right away, or just upgrade the kibble and make the switch after she's settled in a little?

I've never had problem switching a dog right to raw, but best to make it fairly low fat and stick to one protein source at a time until you see she is doing OK with it. I'd also use some enzyme capsules (like pro-zyme) at first to help with the meat digestion since she's been on a "mostly grains" diet and her stomach ph might not digest raw meat easily until it acclimates. If she balks at it, you could start with raw ground chicken or turkey, mixed with some rice and/or pumpkin.

I still haven't made up my mind. I don't know if she's an inhaler/gulper, or a lady when she eats. I don't know if she has any issues with resource guarding. I am leaning towards buying a small bag of premium kibble, just for a week or two, or maybe kibble with some raw. I don't know. I'll play it by ear.

I think that plan is the best...switching her to a better dry food and then slowly introducing her to raw...she will have a chance for her body to adjust...and she won't have a sudden change in food to add to all of the other stressors of moving, etc.

I am so happy for you! (and a little bit jealous!)