BC Boards

injury

fast bc

my bc piper just had a run in with a horse,and the horse won!,anyway piper is ok,just dizzy.My question is,because of her strong herding instinct,should i keep her away from any stock for awhile,or just let her get back to it her own time,i just dont want to have her develop any bad habit's from her brush with the hoof,nor do i want her to become shy.any ideas will help,thanks

My border collies exercise in the horse pasture every day- they are trained to stay away from Little John, the horse, since I want peace in the pasture. Many cattle people use border collies when mounted on horses, so they must learn to leave the horses alone and not bother them, even when working a different species. Obviously, do not leave your dog loose when you can't watch him/her and monitor his behavior.And definitely don't allow them to try to work the horses. Once, years ago, my father was using my border collie to move cattle to a different pasture and my old rope horse snuck up and got my dog on the side of his jaw- knocking him out and driving one canine tooth through the floor of his mouth- it required surgical extraction and several days of soft food. The horse was mighty pleased with himself...

Horses can very easily kill dogs (one of the reasons donkeys make good flock guardians). You should teach her to leave horses alone, no exceptions. If you want her to work other types of stock later and are worried about correcting her over messing with the horse, then your other choice is to simply keep her away from the horse.

J.

If you want to keep her alive, keep her away from the horse.

You didn't say if the horse initiated the conflict or the dog. It really doesn't matter.

Keep her away from the horse.

Is this a pup that we are talking about? I am sssuming that it is because a trained dog would not be going after the horse.

How's your recall on her?

thanks for all the input,she's one year old,the horse came up on her and struck at her while she was preoccupied with her other passion,the cat!.She never really pays much attention to the horses,and she has good recall.I've started to really get her to be the dog i want her to be,and was worried this injury might either make her scared and shy around horses,or aggeresive toward them!