BC Boards

Raw Diet

Megan

Hello, I am new to this site, but not to the BC breed.

What my quesion is, is how many of you feed raw to your dogs? Also what method do you use (BARF or others) and what is your main recipe and reason for chosing the things you feed your dogs?

If you run some searches, you will find a number of threads on feeding, including raw diets. There has been quite a lot of discussion about feeding lately and raw has been a part of much of it.

I switched my Boy to a raw diet a couple weeks ago. He's allergic to corn, white & brown rice, potatos, wheat, and every other source of carbs except sweet potatos, so can't really feed him kibble anymore.

I'm not sure what his type of diet is called, prey model or something along those lines. No veggies, just meat, and lots of variety. He LOVES it and is doing very well on it so far. Only a stinky toot or two, which is fine, cause now I can blame the dog. :rolleyes:

I used to feed Barf and I pretty much went by the books I fed most chicken and turkey- wings are said to have the best calcium to phosperous ratio but I varied it with necks, back, and leg quarters. I fed beef bones, marrow and ribs as treats to better exercise the jaws and clean teeth. My "barf patty" was made up of about 10% ground beef and offal (gizzards)and the rest was: sweet potato, greens (mustard or the like), carrots, raw egg, apples. I added kelp and alfalfa. I also supplimented with flax seed oil, fish oil, and vitamin E. I had a dog with neurological problems so I added extra B-100. I fed canned makrel once a week and always added extra Vit E to the patty that day because fish strips vitimin E from the body. I seriously recommend reading the books before attempting this diet- there is alot that goes into it. I have a spread sheet where I used to record all my dogs daily nutrition values. It was insane. I'm back to feeding an organic kibble because I can't afford to feed raw living in Ohio with the cost of living the way it is.

Good luck,

Annette

Hey Annette,

Just curious where you've been looking for raw meats. Forget chicken wings-----I try to stay under 1.00 a pound for anything for my crew (got to give in somewhat for organ meats though), although I just got pig's kidneys and livers for 89 cents a pound this past weekend and pork neckbones for 75 cents a pound. Chicken necks have gone up, but still under a dollar a pound. Chicken backs used to be 3 lbs. for a dollar, they are now 49 cents a pound.

It's like going on a hunt every time I buy raw. I wish there was a distributor I could hook up with to have a consistent source of food.

My dogs adore canned pumpkin. I always have some in the house because the iguanas love it too. I've seen my dogs pick around everything else to get at the pumpkin.

Raw is going very well for me. I probably put more effort into feeding the dogs and getting a balanced meal for them than I do for the human half of the family.

We switched over to raw several weeks ago and I could not be more thrilled so far. We are basically feeding whatever best buy meat we can find, organs once a week, canned fish (no pacific salmon) once or twice a week with a few veggies. We always throw in a litte Missing Link Plus. I'm still in the phase of watching waistlines, coats and energy - but so far so good. It almost makes pooper scooping non existent and there is no odor.

We have elected not to use any of the prepackaged items due to cost per pound times ten dogs.

Hi Vicki,

When I lived in New Orleans I was paying no more than .65/lb. I could get necks and backs for .39/lb and sometimes turkey necks for the same price. I figured out that my food bill for 3 dogs went from $70.00/month in New Orleans to $150.00/month here in Ohio. Now I have my 3 dogs + my foster dog and I can't afford to pay as much to feed the dogs as I do my & my hubby together in a month. I feed Wellness (whole deboned chicken formula)now which at least I'm comfortable with the ingredients even if I'm not happy about the fact that they are cooked-I go through 65 lbs a month at $70.00. I suppose that things are not getting better from here because we are probably moving to CA where the cost of living is even higher : ( Who knows maybe the necks and backs will be super cheap on base.

Annette

I feed a mixture of raw and kibble because I just can't be bothered with supplements. Actually I can but I forget to put them in 5/10 times, plus some of them can be a pain to find, and with all the people out there saying all sorts of different things I don't even know WHO to trust concerning that. I also tend to vary the kibble for variety, between Firstmate and Innova usually depending on what I can afford at the moment, or whatever. For the raw I feed chicken backs/necks (get like 5 of those for about 2 dollars here), add liver sometimes, or raw egg, or some form of canned food (Innova usually), sometimes green tripe in a can...no meal is the same twice. I usually don't get the concerns people do about varying diets, having known dogs that live on rice and leftovers and dying by unrelated means (get run over, eaten by neighbour, etc.)

My puppy, on the other hand, just gets kibble for now because of diarrhea problems. Later when her digestive system is less sensitive I'll put her back on the diet above.

The Shih Tzu gets mostly canned with some chicken and kibble because she's so picky and she spits food out she doesn't like. Because the people who used to own her fed her Pedigree and Kibbles and Bits I figured I'd give her time to adjust to better-tasting food without the preservatives first before giving her full-fledged raw. Though I do worry about her teeth.