BC Boards

bc shedder

Shedding is related to daylength too. All my dogs and horses are late to start heavy shedding this year. My purebred Bc sheds all year, never stops and my bc/ cocker spaniel doesn't shed at all, which is a nice treat.

I use my horses equipment on the dogs, including a shedder which is a looped piece of metal in a handle. It has fine teeth and the dogs just love it. It scrapes out tons of hair quickly. Most pet supply/ farm supply places sell them. Unless your dogs is losing hair in chunks and itching like mad, its a border collie thing - even their fur is active.

General shedding is caused by several factors, nutrition, length of daylight, and temperature. Some dogs living indoors with climate control will shed continuously. Brush weekly with a medium to hard slicker brush and you can try using a Coat King by Mars found at petedge.com (a medium for a BC should work well) If you decid eto go this route use care the blades are sharp. They are expensive but will not cut top coat if you do not brush the same area over and over. Shedding blades (like for horses)are ok but work better on smooth coated dogs I find. A coat rake is effective on double coated dogs but less effective on a flat coat- less expensive than a coat king.

Hi Newfiegirl.

I was just wondering if you actually live on the Rock or just like big,black dogs? My son's bowling team had a tournament last weekend and the winner got to go to the provincials in Newfoundland. Alas, we didn't win, but thats one place I'd like to see.

How common are the Newfoundland sheep and ponies? I've been reading about them on Rare Breeds Canada