BC Boards

bloody stools

Zoe

Sorry, this is going to be long - but feel the need to explain. I've searched the boards and other sites for hours but can't find anything. This morning I took Dylan ( 8 months )out as usual and he did a pooh but it took a little bit of time coming out and it was smaller than usual ( in length not in width - sorry ! ). And I took a look as I always do ( at least I'm pretty sure I always do - I've become paranoid now ! ) , and there was fresh blood on the tip. He didn't react differently in any way. I wrapped it up in tissue and bagged it as usual but resolved to go straight to the vets. However, it was too early, so decided to continue with our morning routine as normal and see how Dylan would be. We got to the field and he poohed again - the remainder of what he didn't finish that first time and that too had blood on the tip, but not so much. My first thought was piles ! And then all kinds of stuff ran through my head and I got really upset throwing his ball.... And after we finished, he did his second ( or today, third pooh ). It was not bloody and it was looser. He normally poohs 4 times a day. Twice on our morning outing and twice on the afternoon one. Sometimes he'll pooh once at home but usually once when we get to the field and then again after we exercise. The first pooh is usually " normal " (?) and the second looser. It is pretty much the same in the afternoon, but the amounts are less. I'd been concerned about his loose pooh for a while and have been trying to find out as much as I can. He is on the skinny side so I didn't think I was overfeeding him. (I read somewhere that loose stools are a sign of overfeeding.) The breeder had been giving him IAMS puppy and he seemed to be doing well on it - he loved it and has a shiny coat, but I read it wasn't such a good food and am in the process of switching to Canidae - he likes that better ! I'm going really slow with the changeover - he has been on 50/50 for a week and plan to increase slowly soon. I haven't really noticed any change in his pooh consistency/amount during the changeover. Iams says from 8, Canidae 6 months, that the amount of food given daily needs to be reduced ( rather drastically it seems to me ). I checked that with my vet last time I went ( we go once a month to check Dylan's weight /progress etc ), and he said that was right. But Dylan seems to me to need more than the recommended amount so I'm giving him about 300g per day as opposed to the 220-40g recommended. He gets between 2 and 2 and a half hours outside walking/playing every day so I felt that is maybe above average and upped his food accordingly.And it is quite cold and we don't have central heating at home either. Basically he gets fed twice a day but at the moment he is getting 3 stuffed kongs. These are given to him throughout the day as part of his desensitization for SA. Each kong has 25 g of Canidae in it which has been softened and mashed. This is taken out of his daily ration. Also in the kongs are minced beef ( we eat the same beef ) - he has 12 g in each kong placed at the top and at the bottom to keep him interested. And he gets a layer of pumpkin which has been boiled in water and then mashed - just a teaspoon amount. And there is a little bit of jerkey in each kong to keep him interested. I was puttin a small blob of cream cheese on the top, but have stopped it ( thought maybe it wasn't natural for dogs, even though I know a lot of people give that and peanut butter etc ?!). I was freezing the kongs but he lost interest - I think he didn't want to eat kongsicles in winter :rolleyes: so he has them defrosted now - at room temp. So he gets 300g of kibble, about 35g of minced beef and a bit of pumpkin and jerkey per day. In addition to that I do give him rawhide. I have read that it is not good for some dogs, but he has always seemed to be able to digest it and I give him the really small ones. He finishes a rawhide bone in 10 minutes or so - and he chews it really well. He gets about 7g of rawhide per day ( I weighed one ). That is all I am giving him - oh and recently a lettuce leaf in with his pm dinner. He started eating some bamboo grass in the morning about 3 weeks ago so I figured he needed something green. The first thing the vet asked me was " do you give him jerkey ? ". He said it may very well have been caused by that. But he has always had a tiny amount of jerkey, so why now ? And the vet also said it may have been caused by eating twigs. Anyway, I'm going back to the vets on Saturday ( for Dylan's monthly check/frontline ), and was told to monitor his pooh for a week and not to give him anything except dogfood. My vet is REALLY strict on that - NOTHING but dogfood. But I have to continue with his SA program and I don't think kongs with only dogfood in them will work. So I'm making his kongs tonight minus the jerkey but with the minced beef and pumpkin. I haven't been able to leave the house for longer than 20 minutes or unless my husband can be here ( and he goes away a LOT !)for months !!! But obviously I don't want Dylan's health to suffer. Does anyone have any clue or opinion. I think my vet is ok but I have no experience. And my Japanese language skills are not as polished as I would like - and my husband is away a lot so I can't rely on his help as much as I would like. I feel really bad that maybe I've given something to Dylan that is hurting him. He HAS been as lively as usual today ( eating/playing as normal ), although has maybe slept a little more. It is unusually cold and snowy/sleety. Maybe that is why. ( And there was an earthquake last night which woke us up - maybe that shocked him ?! - he was extra cuddly this morning.) Thanks for any advice you may have.

As for the earthquake - animals seem to have a sense of impending natural oddities. I would not be surprised if he sensed that and was a bit concerned.

My first feeling is that perhaps Dylan might have been a bit constipated. If there was a tiny bit of blood due to something like that, I really wouldn't worry. I know because that sometimes happens to me!

Perhaps he swallowed a bit of his rawhide and got a little "scratch" in his rectum or at his anus.

Blood combined with diarrhea or mucus would worry me. That might indicate a serious digestive upset.

My dogs are rather like Dylan in their movements - firmer at first and looser after. I notice that, when we are working with stock, they often go beforehand and it's firm. After work, it is usually looser - I think it's something that they just do - voiding right after they've been very active and intent.

I hope this works out for you! You seem to provide Dylan with a very loving and happy home!

I wouldn't worry too much Zoe. Sometimes those poops are hard and dense and can tear one of the tiny blood vessels on their way out. A small dot of blood on the occasional stool is nothing to get too concerned about.

Continue like you have and check his poops on a regular basis for size and consistency and if there is more than just a touch of blood, if it happens on a regular basis, or is accompanied by diarrhea or other signs of illness, then perhaps you could worry a little bit more.

But I wouldn't worry much right now. Happens to me now and then too.

Thanks so much. I feel better. I forgot to mention that the vet did a test on his pooh right there and said there was nothing unusual and also that it is quite common. And his pooh was fine this morning. I am going to try and post some of Dylan's pictures on the weekend as I haven't sent any yet. I've seen pics of Boyden, are there pictures of Celt, Megan and MacLeod in the gallery ? I'll check it out later !

Zoe - Great to hear that things are fine for Dylan. It's always nerve-wracking to worry about your dog!

I've got a shot of Mac (and our old Rocket and Baby Cow) in the gallery somewhere, and also some shots of Celt and Megan working cattle here at home and Celt and Megan dressed up for Halloween! I'm sorry, I don't remember which threads.

Again, great to hear that things are fine for you!