BC Boards

hip/leg pain and strange walk

kaos

I was wondering if any one familiar with hip dysplasia or crutiate injuries could help me out. I have always known that Kaos had tender hips (I'm fairly sure I ruined them or ruined them further if they were already bad by running her like mad from the time she was a puppy... the things I wish I had known then....)

However, I am wondering if perhaps her aggression with sam (our other dog) is perhaps due to her living in pain. Is there any way other than xrays to discern if there is a problem with hips or a past leg injury? Our previous vet manually manoevered them around and said they felt "stiff" and somewhat inflexible, but that with out xrays we wouldn't know why.

I have noticed that when she runs she seems to do a kind of bunny hop with her hind end. She can run like the wind and won't stop until we make her, but if she has been run too much she will lie down when we are at home and be some what stiff. she will occasionally yelp or cry when running (usually when she turns quite fast) we thought it was because her nails are so short (she somehow always has them worn down to nubbins, not chewing just running) and perhaps she had just knicked the quick... but now I'm wondering if perhaps it is a chronic pain thing. Any advice would be welcome.

My fathers Airedale underwent a massive personality change from fun loving happy dog to growly snarly dog; for a long time he assumed it was just old age, but when she went on meta cam to help with the pain from arthritis and a leg injury she miraculously returned to her old personality. Guess I'mm kinda hoping for a miracle but any experiences or ideas would be most welcome.

Sara

When I rescued Cricket (about 6months of age - Nov. 2003) she had a limp which the vet said was likely panostitis (not sure I have the spelling right) anyway, she would whine, and chew at night. I thought it was a teething thing. She had (still does) major fear issues. So when we would go for a walk, if we saw people, I'd make her sit..she did so reluctantly. Now I wonder if her 'people aggression had to do with pain...it hurts to sit..so they must be making me hurt??? Then I noticed the more she ran, the more she bunnyhopped, which is a classic sign of hip dysplasia :rolleyes: She also would be slow to get up...

I have noticed that when she runs she seems to do a kind of bunny hop with her hind end. She can run like the wind and won't stop until we make her, but if she has been run too much she will lie down when we are at home and be some what stiff. she will occasionally yelp or cry when running (usually when she turns quite fast) we thought it was because her nails are so short (she somehow always has them worn down to nubbins, not chewing just running) and perhaps she had just knicked the quick... but now I'm wondering if perhaps it is a chronic pain thing. Any advice would be welcome.
Cricket also runs like the wind Anyway, in April 2004 I went to have her hips xrayed,....the poor little girl had one of her hip joints completely out of the socket :D and must have been in agony...but she was so stoic... (The other hip was not as bad so it's being left alone for the time being)

We opted to have a FHO (femoral head ostomy) because she was small enough (under 16 kg) and the surgery could be done locally. My other option was to take her to Guelph, for a total hip replacement at a cost of $4,000..plus transportation, her being away from us (an issue with her being fearful). To make a long story shorter ....Cricket is a much happier BC...I am sure that the pain had a lot to do with her personality. I'm still working on her quirks (of which she has many!!) but she continues to run like the wind

Anyway, that's the story with my girl...I feel bad because I left it so long.....

BTW, Guelph is the best place to be if your dog has medical issues...they are a top notch veterinary university.

thanks for the reply, I really do wonder if her personality quirks ARE an issue of chronic pain.... maybe I will ask if we can use a pain reliever AND the antianxiety, and see if we can help her out?

I know that Uof G is the best place in the world, its where I went to school and also where I adopted my first dog from. Our behaviourist works out of the vet school. How much were xrays? Do you know if there is any way to tell if the hips are bad without knocking the dog out?

Sara

As far as I know, the only way to really tell if the hips are bad is by x-rays. Where I live...it cost about $300 for the x-ray procedure...that included the anaestetic - excuse my rotten spelling..too lazy to look in the dictionary

The surgery was another $1,800...plus pain killers for about 10 days.

I give Cricket a 1/2 of an ibuprofen on those days when she's really overdone the running about. I hope to get her swimming alot this summer to build up her muscle...and hopefully avoid doing the other hip.

Maybe you could get a cheaper evaluation at Guelph?

Good luck...if only our dogs could speak...it might be easier to know what to do for them

Bunny hopping gait behind is one of the hallmarks of hip dysplasia. An xray of the hips can be done without anesthesia on a fairly controllable, nonaggressive dog. If you want OFA quality positioning (perfectly straight with legs extended to the max) the dog will most likely need sedation. If you are just looking for specific and/or obvious problems - like moderate to bad dysplasia or an old fracture - it can probably be seen just fine and diagnosed without sedation. If cost is bothering you, bring her on down to West VA - my vet does great hip xrays for just $65 - with or without a reversible sedative! :rolleyes:

Hi Laurie,

Sorry, I was suffering a brain cramp!! I give Cricket coated acetaminophen....I take the ibuprofen!!

I wish our prices were more like yours...but I guess that's the price to pay to live in the Great White North :rolleyes:

I was told that acetaminophen was toxic as well and that aspirin was the only safe pain reliever (human grade stuff, not prescription) any one else hear that? I may be wrong so check and make sure

just chatted with my vet, she said it would be about $90-130 for xrays (not certification quality but enough to see if there is an issue and rule it out as a problem. think we'll give it a shot.

Also she mentioned that St Johns Wort acts as an excellent calming agent for dogs and that we should give that a go before the clomicalm... Has any one used it for that reason before and had some success? I'm rusing out first thing in the morning to get a big bottle of it (4-6 weeks to build up a therapeutic level and see results)

Sara