BC Boards

Teething Puppy

Joe Anne

My 5 month old puppy is currently teething. I recently heard of freezing "something"? to let him chew on to sooth sore gums, but I can't remember what? Any ideas of what I could do would be appreciated.

He must be sensitive because he is not eating his hard cookies as well as before and it appears to bother him. He does eat his food however. I have not given him anything real hard to chew on in the last couple of days but would like to help ease any discomfort he may be having.

Thanks for any advice... JoeAnne & Phoenix

Hello to Joeanne (otherwise known as Mom or Mammy) and Phoenix---When the boys (your grandsons) were teething I would wet a washcloth and stick it in the freezer and let them chew on that til it thawed. I believe someone else made this suggestion too. Love, your daughter and Phoenix's sister, Amica.

We bought Moose a chilly bone, from petsmart. You just wet it, freeze it and pop it in your pup's mouth. Works like a champ! Moose wasn't too sensitive, but it was fun to watch him go through the teething process. I was following him around trying to save at least one tooth, no luck :rolleyes:

Thanks for the teething suggestions...

We have been fortunate finding teeth, have found 2 so far, and one fang tooth! Well actually I should give credit where it's due. My 12 yr. old Dobie mix found the 1st tooth. She thought it was a cookie crumb, she always cleans up the crumbs at cookie time, and she picked it up and actually spit it out! she is like the commercial with "mikey", she eats everything, so for her to spit something out, we thought we should check it out, and there it was, Phoenix's 1st lost tooth!!! The fang tooth, I got.. he was chewing like he had something in his mouth, and I couldn't see it. I opened his mouth to get out what ever it was and his tooth was just barely hanging there! what luck!!

Oh and to my daughter and precious grand-dog Amica.... thank you dear, I do remember the frozen washcloth now!

JoeAnne and Phoenix

Thanks Miztiki for the welcome.. My daughter and I both got a puppy from the same litter. Phoenix is a boy and Amica a cute little girl.

We live about 2 hrs. apart, and she went with me when I drove to Virginia to pick up Phoenix. The whole trip down, she kept saying..."I know I will not be able to come home without a puppy, and the breeder had several still unspoken for!" We spent a long time discussing BC's (I was owned by my boy Wolfie for 11 yrs< well actually I am still owned by him and always will be!)

Anyway, we talked about BC's alot, and she obviously knew Wolf. I am also a pet trainer and spoke from that position as well as Mom. Well wouldn't ya know, very interestingly enough... when we got there and went to where the pups where, the first puppy that came to my daughter was the 1st puppy that had come to my husband, when we went to visit the at 5 wks. old. Almost twilight zoney! So goes the story of Amica's new home.

We try to get together with the puppies often. Either for family get togethers or puppy-sitting. It's alot of fun seeing the 2 of them grow up together, and see the differences in growth as well as personality. Phoenix was the second biggest boy of the litter, and Amica was the runt! and you can see the difference when they are together. They are both about the same height and length, but Phoenix has the bulk. It's sorta cute, when they are together... Phoenix "looks like a boy, and Amica looks like a girl"... hmmmm, I know that sounds weird but they do!! hahahahaha !

Well enough rambling, I really love the BC boards, I almost feel like it's an extended family...

Thanks again JoeAnne and Phoenix