BC Boards

Limping on (only) walking

nancy

Fergie recently started sort of limping when she walks.

She is 9 years old - and she's always sort of bobbed when walking. But she's doing it more noticeably the last week or so.

However, when she gallops or runs or plays with a stick, there's no sign of a limp.

I was hoping to wait until we pick a new vet for her regular check-up before going again. I don't like our current one. But it's awkward to take an unknown dog for this kind of problem.

Is it every time she walks or just sometimes? early in the morning or late at night? sporadically throughout the day? It's much easier to notice a hitch in the gait while the dog is at a walk. At faster gaits, it's easier for the dog to compensate.

If you're looking for soreness or lameness in a dog, the best time to look is right as they rise from a long nap/sleep. those first few steps are crucial. Maybe it's an arthritic condition that works itself out the more she's warmed up? Of course, these are all total guesses, and I'd consult your vet.

At her age, you may want to consider adding a joint supplement to her diet if you haven't already. And if you have, maybe increasing it now while she appears sore.

-Laura

(down the road in Cary)

Dr. Betts?? Yes, he's good and has helped me out with my girls as well. He used to require a referral from your reg. vet, so you might want to check first. Here's his info:

Veterinary Surgical Referral Practice

Address: 220 High House Rd., Suite 100

Cary, North Carolina 27513

Phone: 919-380-9494

Don't let the "surgical" in the name scare you, he's treated my girls medically.

Originally posted by rtphokie:

Dr. Betts?? Yes, he's good and has helped me out with my girls as well. He used to require a referral from your reg. vet, so you might want to check first.

Don't let the "surgical" in the name scare you, he's treated my girls medically.

I'll throw in another 5 or 6 votes for Dr. Betts. I'm not sure how many dogs I've taken to him! Definitely do not be scared by "surgical." He hasn't recommended surgery for any of my dogs, and time proved him right.

Thanks for the advice.

I give Ferg glucosamine. And, yes, the limp is most noticable when she first gets up from sleeping or from lolling in her chair while we read and listen to WNCU. And it's definitely the front - I say left and husband says right.

High House is just down Davis Drive from us. However, as a Durhamite, I hate to do business in Cary. Tired of getting looked down on, I guess. Hey, I LIKE living in Durham!

Anyhow, guess I'd better call Parkwood Vet (in my favorite shopping center - Triangle Square). Been going to Greenwood but really don't care for the new vet there. And I'll mention Dr. Betts.

I suspect it's arthritis. But I have sciatica and wonder if there are things like that that dogs get. Well, I also have arthritis - just had to get my wedding ring upsized from the original 5-1/2 to 7-1/2! But I have no pain from that - just increasingly large knuckles.