BC Boards

Question about scratching face

Tiga's_mom

Tiga has been pawing at and scratching at his face for a week or two now. First we thought it was teething because he would put a piece of rawhide in his mouth and clentch it in his back teeth and cry. After a while of this and one night that he wouldn't settle down, we took him to the vet. She checked his mouth over and said she couldn't see anything wrong with him and figured he was just going through a rebellious stage and that if he's eating fine, then there's probably nothing wrong. She said that he was likely about a month older then we thought he was putting him now at about 7 months. She said he should have all his adult teeth in now. So we brought him home, but he's still been pawing at and scratching his face quite a bit. Yesterday we got fixed and we mentioned it to them again. She checked him again before the surgery and his blood work showed up fine. She also said she would check him a bit better when he was asleep. She didn't find anything. I'm concerned that they're missing something. Any ideas?

I'm also wondering, after his surgery, how long do we have to keep him from scratching or licking himself? He just had it done yesterday and he's doing quite well. He cries a bit, but if we distract him with a toy he's been settling down.

My first thought is to wonder if there isn't a tooth problem or something similar that might show up on an xray. It sounds like something is really bothering him, even though the vet hasn't found out what it is yet.

I'd ask for an xray of his head and neck. It sounds to me like he is in some distress and I'd pursue the cause pretty vigorously, perhaps even a recommendation to a veterinary dentist or orthopedist.

I hope Tiga recovers well and soon from his surgery and that you discover what's going on with the poor guy.

Ruth n the BC3

We're keeping a close eye on him and if it keeps up we'll certainly ask for the x-ray. I think that it's starting to slow down a bit. I figured that if there was any sort of infection that it would show up on his bloodwork which turned out fine. Is that really the case?

My other thought when doing some research was Atopy. He does seem to have some of the symptoms which seem to be scratching (his face and sometimes on his belly), and some sneezing. Also I read that they make lick their paws which he does and evidence of dry skin. He was having a lot of dry skin problems but I switched his food and that seemed to have gone away. Could it also be the weather? It has been quite cold here lately (-25 to -35 C).

Dogs will also paw at their faces when their eyes are itching. One of my dogs suffers from allergies and her eyes will start itching. She will paw at her face for extended periods of times and if we aren't careful she gets obsessive about it. We make her stop and will clean her eyes.

They also will paw at their faces when the ears itch.