BC Boards

Lily's sneezing, should I give her children's Benadryl? Is this allergy season?

Pippin

Hi all,

Lily has been sneezing for about four days now. The first day of her sneezing I made a meatloaf and I think she got some of the spices/seasonings I used for it up her nose: black pepper, ground mustard, salt and sage. She's still sneezing though, it seems like she would have gotten any of that out of her system by now. Last night, I wiped off her nose with a damp cloth after a particularly loud sneeze because that always helps me when I have something up my nose, and it did seem to help some. I'm not sure why she is still sneezing though; her nose was a little runny last night and that's been the only time it has been, but she doesn't feel like she has a fever. She is also eating fine and going to the bathroom fine, no diarrhea or anything. The sneezing is the only thing she's doing.

Does it sound like a slight cold or allergies? Is this the time of year for canine allergies from pollen and things outside to start?

I did a search on the board and found one post on reverse sneezing, I think she is doing a bit of that as well. The replies in the post all said it was normal and said what to do for it, so I'm not too worried about that.

I do have some children's chewable Benadryl tablets that I got for her a few weeks ago, upon advice of my vet as a good thing to have around. Should I give her some, and if so, should I give her a full tablet or half of one? She weighs just over 20 pounds and is six months old.

Also, should I restrict her activities or let her play and run as much as she wants to until she feels better?

Any other advice would also be appreciated, thank you.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow and see what they see, and bring her in to be checked out.

The thing that I thought might be reversed sneezing does sound somewhat like a sneeze in reverse, but the poor thing sounds like she's trying to get something out that won't come out, almost like a gasp or cough. It's coming from her nose though and not her mouth, but doesn't sound like she's gasping for breath. If that was the case, I would have taken her to the vet or the after hours/emergency clinic today. It just sounds like she's trying to sneeze out something that won't come out on its own.

She hasn't been vaccinated against kennel cough because she has no physical contact with other dogs except for rare nose sniffs through the fence(I don't allow her to play with other dogs in the neighborhood), I don't ever plan on boarding her and if I should need to, I'll get it before she is boarded, and because dogs can still get it even with the vaccine, since it's only against one strain that can cause it.

Could it be that she has kennel cough? What are the treatments for it?

She's still doing the sneezing thing along with the other noise. I got a small flashlight and shone it up her nostrils, but didn't see anything with it. I didn't think I would if there is something there, but thought I'd try it anyway.

One more thing...I'm sneezing and have a slight cough as well and I started sneezing and coughing not long before she did, is it possible I spread my cold on to her? Should I be limiting her activities? I have been today by not letting her play as much, especially playing fetch or chasing after her balls, and keeping her in her crate or on the couch with me, lying down.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear she's going to the vet. As far as looking up her nose, the vet will be able to tell if it's some kind of upper respiratory thing, or a foreign body. If it's a foreign body, Lily will most likely need to be sedated to recover it.

I don't think you guys could be sharing the same 'bug,' but am not ready to bet the farm on it.

I'd say keep her just a bit on the quiet side. BC's, and especially puppies, are not known for being able to know when to stop.

Hope it's nothing major and that she stops sneezing soon!

Ruth n the BC3

Thanks again Ruth. I was hoping you'd be one of the people who replied, since (correct me if I'm wrong please), some of your dogs have allergy problems. I thought you'd be able to help me out, and you did.

I am waiting for the vet to re-open from lunch to give them a call, and ask if I should bring her in and what they think I should do. I hope I'll be able to get her in this afternoon, even if I have to wait until right before they close at five. If not, I should be able to get her in tomorrow, but I really want to get her in today.

Keeping a six month very energetic BC quiet is no small task. She is in her crate right now whining and giving me either a sad look or a go to hell look when I look at her, lol. It's cool here today so I don't want to let her outside any longer than it takes her to go potty; I'm trying to keep her warm and quiet. She is not happy about not being allowed out to play.

Updated: I just called the vet and the vets weren't back from lunch yet, but the lady that makes appointments was. I got an appointment for 11 a.m. tomorrow, but they are going to call if they have a cancelled appointment this afternoon so I can bring her in then.

Allergies in dogs are very seldom limited to sneezing. If she was having sneezing w/watery eyes, and/or wheezing, (I think that athsma is rare in dogs, but I'm not sure) I'd be more inclined to think allergy.

Most allergic dogs have itchy, itchy, itchy skin, to the point of chewing themselves raw, and/or digestive difficulties - diarrhea, gas, bloating, particularly food allergies.

Hope you get in this afternoon.

Ruth

Well, I didn't get to take her in this afternoon, but mid morning tomorrow isn't too bad. She's not sneezing or making the other noise as much, so I think she's feeling a little better now. I've never seen her doing an excessive amount of chewing on herself and haven't recently noticed any digestive problems or any of the other symptoms you described, it doesn't sound like an allergy based upon that.

I think she just has a mild upper respiratory infection, probably from getting something up her nose or picking up a mild virus. Keeping her warm and quiet in her crate seems to be the best thing for her right now, I think not playing and using up her energy is what she needs to do.

Originally posted by Pippin:

She hasn't been vaccinated against kennel cough because she has no physical contact with other dogs except for rare nose sniffs through the fence(I don't allow her to play with other dogs in the neighborhood), I don't ever plan on boarding her and if I should need to, I'll get it before she is boarded, and because dogs can still get it even with the vaccine, since it's only against one strain that can cause it.

One more thing...I'm sneezing and have a slight cough as well and I started sneezing and coughing not long before she did, is it possible I spread my cold on to her?

First, a dog does NOT need one bit of physical contact with an infected dog to catch kennel cough. It is an airborne disease. They don't even have to be in the same room to pass the disease from one dog to another. You will have to ensure that your dog cannot breathe air that could have been contaminated by a sick dog. Breathing through the fence at another dog is more than enough contact to pass the disease.

Yes, there are many strains of KC and the vaccine is not 100% effective. No vaccination is. You choose whether or not you are willing to accept that risk for your dog.

Second, very, very few diseases are transmissable from people to dogs, or vice versa. Kennel cough, colds, and upper respiratory diseases are absolutely not in this category.