BC Boards

Pheno Levels Question

Cheri McDonald

Briar had her pheno levels checked earlier this week, they came back at 16. (vet said she likes to see from 10 to 40) Bri has been on the pheno for just over two years now. She has had three bile acids tests that were all normal including the one this week. No seizures that we know of since starting the pheno.

Vet knew I was very concerned about starting her on the drug in the first place, and suggested we might try dropping the dose a little to see if we can maintain the seizure control. My question is with her levels as low as 16 with control, should we risk loosing it by dropping the dosage? She is 1/2 a gram a day.

our golden is an ex sar dog who started having seizures after 2 mos at ground zero. he was two at the time they started.since being diagnosed as epileptic he was released from duty and i adopted him.he is also on pheno. we had his level up to 23 and slowly lowered the dosage to where it is effective but not over doing it. his level now is at 12. by the way he is a retired sargent of the chicago police dept.we are still waiting for pension $. now hes just a fat old farm dog who just likes to hang out and watch the world go by.hes about 110 lbs.hes huge for a golden.slighly overweight but not to bad.