BC Boards

WORMS!!

Gibber

Hey Gang:

I wormed Sampson at the end of his 6th week...2 large roundworms came out. That kinda surprised me. Then, just last night I wormed him again because he kept biting at his back end. This morning is his first poopy of the a.m. his poop was FULL of these large nasty roundworms! They had to come rom thr breeder. Yes, she'll be getting a call. She put on his health record that she has just wormed him at the beginning of his 6th week. He is now 7 weeks old. How often should I worm him now? The wormer I am using is an OTC roundworm and hookworm medicine. Will this be an ongoing problem?

Many vets will want you to worm the pups until they are 20 weeks old, worming every 2 weeks. Pups are usually born with roundworm, I believe. It can take a few wormings to get rid of them hence worming every 2 weeks.

My puppy is 16 weeks old and I wormk him every 2 weeks. I have not had a problem. He loves the strigid(?) since it is banana flavored.

Take your pup to the vet and get some wormer.

Way too early to be posting

Gibber - Sorry, I feel like I'm hogging the boards this morning!

My advice to any one with a new pup is to get an appointment as soon as possible with your own vet. Have your pup checked with a general physical and have a stool sample checked for parasites so the vet will know what types of worms to treat for.

Be prepared to administer wormers that your vet can provide - a lot of OTC wormers may remove some worms or certain stages of worms, but your vet should have wormers that are safe and much more comprehensive.

The vaccination protocols that were in place when I got my pup gave me the opportunity to have him checked by the vet every few weeks, which had a double benefit. Not only was he examined for potential problems and vaccinated properly for his (and our) protection, but he was also able to become accustomed at a very young age to visiting the vet and being handled. Wonderful training for a dog!

Also, getting your pup on essentials such as flea/tick treatments (when or where needed) and heartworm preventatives are things that need to be done when the pup reaches the proper age.

Don't be too upset at your dog's breeder. He/she may have done the proper things at the right time for the puppy's age. Now it's up to you to do the right things for your pup. You seem like a responsible and concerned owner - get an appointment right away with your vet and work with him/her to provide the best of care for your pup.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Sue you are right about the vet....so I am taking him Saturday. I took a closer look this morning once the sun came up and that stool was probably 75% worms and 25% feces. It looked like he had eaten a huge bowl of spaghetti. That's just plain nasty. He already seems more energetic. I thought I had gotten a really laid back pup....but thank goodness he's got energy! I had just never experienced these worms and I have had a lot of dogs in my life. From BC's to labs to english springer spaniels. The spaniel was a rescue and he never even had these worms. Sorry if I seemed a little overly excited...this was just new to me. Thanks again for the help.

I understand your concern - worms are absolutely gross! I remember the first time we wormed our first horse and pony. They came from a dairy farm where the folks were (shall we say) not too modern in their animal husbandry. The manure that resulted looked like it had been rolled in a mixture of hair and coconut; it was covered with dead worms.

Thank goodness you did get so many worms out of your pup. Another poster on these boards just lost a youngster to a severe worm infestation, and it appears that the vet did not recognize this when they first took the ill pup in to be seen.

The OTC wormers do a job but they don't always do it very well or thoroughly. I am grateful you are going to the vet. The vet will provide you with products that do a much better and more thorough job. The testing that the vet can do will allow him/her to treat the specific worms or other parasites your pup may have.

It's not cheap to visit the vet on the recommended schedule, but it will pay off in the long run with better health for your pup and a good relationship with your vet.