BC Boards

Dog friendly Atlantic Coast destinations?

Does anyone have recommendations for dog friendly areas that are within about 150 miles of the DC/NoVA area and on the ocean?

My fiance, Scott, and I are hoping to head to the beach during the weekend he's in town. We originally were looking at Chincoteague Island, but the weekend he's here is pony penning weekend, so there's no way I'll be able to find an affordable place to stay in that area only a month ahead.

Any suggestions are welcome - Scott's never seen the ocean, so I'd really like to make this happen.

My problem with pony penning weekend would not be finding a hotel. :rolleyes: It would be how do I avoid buying at least 5 ponies. OH how I love ponies.

After 26 years of riding/training/owning equines, I still love ponies better than horses, probably because my first pony was such a stellar individual (he still is--at nearly 38 years old he has a job in a therapy program and he still bosses around all the big horses that share his field).

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I know it isn't within the milage that you wanted, but we go to Oak Island Nc every year. It is dog friendly and so peaceful! If you are looking for a week long getaway that is the best! We lived in Fairfax, Va when we started going. It's a bit of a drive but so worth it. Ok I know this was no help but keep it in mind... Also alot of the beached in Nc are dog friendly. You can go to Nags Head or something closer.

There's always VA Beach, but its crowded.

You can go a little ways. . um, south I think, to Sandbridge. Its much less crowded. You cant take dogs in the lifeguarded area's, but you can walk just a little ways to the other side of the pier and there arent any restrictions against dogs there. I think it might be dangerous swimming on that side though.

Here's a link

web page

If you are going to a National Seashore or similar public beach, be sure to check out the regulations concerning dogs beforehand. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore only allows dogs on leash and the fine for breaking this regulation can be quite high. In National Wildlife Refuge areas, dogs must be leashed and some areas are strictly off-limits to dogs even on leash. Some areas allow dogs on the beach or off-leash only during certain hours.

We enjoy going to the Cape Hatteras KOA, which is dog-friendly. It's down on the Outer Banks north of Cape Hatteras and south of Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills. Dogs must be on leash but they can be taken on walks on the beach without time restrictions, at least during the off-season.

Further south, on Okracoke Island, dogs may be off-leash in certain areas or during certain times of the day.

I absolutely love Ocracoke - any idea how long a drive it is though? With gas at $3/gal here and on a college student's budget it might be tough to swing if it's a long drive.

At least 8hrs. from DC to the Ocracoke ferry. Not exactly a day trip. If you are just in town for the weekend, I dont really think it would work out.

There might be something close by in Maryland, but I dont know anything about that area.

The problem with the Dc/NoVa area is that it is so full of people and they all want the same thing as you. A good day trip to get away from it all. To really get away you may have to go a little further. Sorry. That whole lots of people thing is the reason we moved. :rolleyes:

Okay, here's a kind of off the wall plan (and my little secret when I used to work in the Hampton Roads area). If you head toward VA Beach there is a military base, Fort Monroe, on the Hampton side of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. You take the exit for Phoebus (a part of Hampton) and you can get to the base from there. They will check your ID (you may have a wait depending on how busy they are), but if you can get on base, then you can go to "dog beach." It's a little strip of beach that abuts the Phoebus beaches (but is separated by a fence) at the very back side of Fort Monroe. If you go on a weekday, you may well be the only one there. The beaches at Fort Monroe are meant for use by military and dependents, but I never had any problems when I was working in Hampton and took my dogs there at lunch. Just a thought.... Of course, it's not on the ocean per se, but on the bay side.

If you can't get on base for some reason, then you can hop back on 64, go through the tunnel and head to Sandbridge (you may want to check in advance about dog restrictions as many places do have added restrictions in summer thanks to folks not picking up after their dogs). No one wants to go for a fun day at the beach and have to search through piles of poo to find a place for their blanket....

J.