BC Boards

Eye goop

I have seen eye goop mentioned a few times here and I am wondering how much goop is normal. Toby seems to have a lot of eye goop. I wipe it out of his eyes at least twice a day. Maybe that is normal, I am not sure. I thought when I switched him from the junk food he was on to Canidae it might go away but it hasn't and he has just finished his first bag. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not? :confused: :confused: :confused:

"Lots" of eye goop is not normal (of course, "lots" is a relative term), and can be indicative of a number of things. Is it green and gooey? Just crusty when you see it? Maybe allergies, maybe some infection somewhere, maybe just dust/crud in the air, etc. Probably worth having the vet take a look, especially if it's been there for a while, as it sounds like it has been if you've finished a whole bag of food.

A

Black Jack gets some "eye goop" too. But it's just the morning most of the time, and it's kind of yellow and crumbly.

I would probably have him checked though, I don't know much about that stuff so I ask the vet :rolleyes:

It isn't yellow or green, it is whitish and goopy not dried. It certainly isn't copious but I just wondered if there shouldn't be any eye goop at all. It is more plentiful when he first wakes in the morning and then I find I wipe it out one or maybe two more times throughout the day. His eyes don't seem irritated or red at all so I don't think it is an external irritant, I was thinking more of an allergy thing.

My youngster has had a lot of white eye goop, particularly in the mornings. I have noticed that, since switching to Canidae about two months ago (at a guess), this seems to be greatly reduced. Some mornings, he doesn't have it at all.

I've always felt his was some sort of allergy but, now that you've mentioned it, there's much less since he's been on the Canidae than before, when he was on other, very good quality foods.

I would be particularly concerned if the goop was yellow or greenish (because of infection), if the eyes showed any runniness or sensitivity, squinting, etc., or if he was rubbing and fussing at the eyes. Perhaps a vet visit (or maybe just a phone consultation to see if you need a vet visit) would be best.

Best wishes!

I was going to say that too.

My two had eye goop until I switched their diet for the better.

I was feeding Science diet until I found out about all the awful things in it.

Then I switched to Nutro all natural lamba nd rice, and all their allergies cleared right up within like 7 wks.

Beth G - That time that you mention (about 7 weeks) is more or less how long Bute's been on the Canidae and I just realized within the last few days that he's had virtually no eye goop in recent days. Sounds like maybe it takes about that long to make a difference?

Just as a BTW, some dogs have a deeper-set eye than others and therefore accumulate more goo in the corners of their eyes than the next dog over. Finn tends to accumulate a little mucoid discharge in the corners of his eyes for this reason. There's nothing wrong with his eyes; it's just his anatomy.

The eye is SUPPOSED to produce mucus every day; if there's something wrong, the eye may increase production to protect itself, but there should always be a little production daily in a normal eye. If you are uncertain about whether or not your dog's mucus production is normal, please see your vet. I'm just saying it's possible that your dog's eye shape and set may mean that, while his mucus production is normal, it stays in the corner of the eye longer than that of another dog with a more prominant eye-set.

Sue R.-

Yeah a vet told me that it may take up to 9 or 10 wks for the old food's toxins to leave the body, and for you to see a difference.

The eye set is significant in this. Meg gets conjunctivitis every now and then. We use a liquid antibiotic eyedrop prescribed by the doctor and its gone in a few days. The eye set makes her prone to this problem. Three different vets here concurr.

She has always had a good diet and we've done allergy testing. That isn't her problem. YMMV.

I think what's been said about eye set is interesting also. I've noticed that Bute's eyes are "deeper-set" than Celt's or Megan's. They give him an "almond-eye" look rather than a "big, round eye" appearance. That might contribute to the accumulation as well.