BC Boards

Goose Dog Removal, Anyone?

I was wondering if anyone on this board do goose dog removal with their dogs, as a lively hood or way of making some money? Or knows someone that I could contact that does?

I am looking into starting, I guess, a small bussiness. I've got the dog, Dice, and we've both been to herding lessons and we remove the geese for our lake front friends on almost a daily bases. She knows the basics, lay down, come-bye, away to me, swims out on command, and has a solid recall.

No sure if this is much for me to go on but I am very interested in any information anyone has! Like what people charge for private homes, ect. And maybe anything else I'd need to train.

Katelynn & Dice

Why would anyone want to remove a perfectly good goose dog!?!

(ba-dump ching)

Sorry, I just had to. No, the border collie made me do it! Yeah, that's it!

I don't have any experience with it, but I've seen it mentioned on the board in the past. I also know there are people that do it for golf courses, airports, places like that. Maybe you could check around in your area and see if there's any interest in having you and your dog perform this service. You might also check into local laws first - I know there are some laws protecting Canada Geese, especially when they're on eggs or have young. Good luck.

hey katelyn:

Timing is everything...

Was reading the want-ads in a local paper yesterday, and someone put an ad in looking for a goose dog- bc or like breed... So of COURSE I called Will see if he gets back to me. I would love it if my Kelpie could do something like this.... Will keep you posted.

Julie

Katelynn,

The way I understand it, goose control work can be *very intense* during certain times of the year (May, for instance). If you are going to do the work right, you need to be available to go to properties at any time. The key to making geese move on is constant harrassment at various times throughout the day. I have a friend with a very successful goose control business and she stays quite busy. Here is her website:

http://www.geesepolicevamd.com/

If you read through some of the pages, especially "How we do it" you will see how labor intensive the work can be.

I'm not trying to put you off from this kind of work, but I just want to point out that it can be very easy to bite off more than you can chew, and I don't think it's something that can be done on a part-time, hit or miss basis.

J.

Well, went to a golf course yesterday- to "try" my girl at this activity Got there, and hopped in the golf cart with the manager. Rode out to a flock near a pond. Took her off leash, set her out- she immediately bolted after them, and then they went into the pond (ahh, I thought, that's the end of that). No, she flew right into the pond after them. I couldn't believe it. She has never been swimming. She was quite amazing. Then, to top it off, she was at the culvert end of the pond where there was a 4 ft high stone wall. Know how she got out? She scaled it- straight up. WOW- we BOTH said. It was a very succesful attempt, and we have been hired. Not sure about scheduling- but I know my girl is VERY happy to have a job again.

Julie

Julie! Sounds like she likes it! Congrats! I hope it works out for both of you!

Thanks for the web pages everyone!

If I do go into this, it will not be alone. I have the dog but not all the time (going to beauty school, 1,500 hour program and yes, I am going voluntarily to summer school, not that I want to or anything.....lol) but my mother and best friend (we both just walked Friday and have no clue what to do over the summer) are more then willing to join in and take Dice out during the week to make all the rounds while I am at school.

Haven't given it much more thought then that, I've been away at a dock dog event with Dice and just way to busy with graduation.

Katelynn

• 1 month later...